Whether you’re serving appetizers to friends and family at a get-together in your home, or looking for family-friendly snacks that both kids and adults will enjoy, these Baked Coconut Chicken Strips are a crowd-pleaser that combines the best of all worlds. Crunchy chicken strips are always a favorite of children and picky eaters, and but these chicken strips have a sophisticated, gourmet flair. Coated in coconut, these strips boast a tropical vibe, which pairs perfectly with our tangy and savory soy-ketchup sauce.
Plus, these chicken strips may taste like a treat, but they’re made using clean, wholesome ingredients and healthy cooking methods. Instead of using a heavy batter and refined, white bread crumbs, we’ve simply coated our chicken with extra virgin olive oil and coconut. Then we bake the chicken instead of frying it, for a crispy, crunchy texture that satisfies, without the excess fat and calories. Our sauce is low in calories and has zero fat, and skinless chicken breasts are a perfect source of lean protein.
And these strips couldn’t be easier to make. Coating your strips with only olive oil and coconut cuts down on the clumsy process of coating with egg and flour, which makes a mess of the kitchen, and your fingers! And baking these chicken strips means that you can simply set the oven timer and do other tasks while they bake for only 30 minutes, instead of tending to frying ingredients over a hot stove! Prepare a batch for easy snack times, appetizers, and party food!
*Does not include dipping sauce Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 4-5 chicken strips | Calories: 261 | Total Fat: 16 g | Saturated Fat: 7 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 73 mg | Sodium: 175 mg | Carbohydrates: 3 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 1 g | Protein: 25 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced to strips
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes or shredded coconut
- Your favorite sauce (or make your own, recipe below)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons lite soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Coat the chicken with the extra virgin olive oil.
- In a small bowl, mix the salt, pepper and coconut then coat the chicken with this mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- If making the sauce, in a small bowl, mix the ketchup, soy sauce, water and pepper.
- Serve the chicken immediately with the sauce.
Here are more amazing appetizer/snack recipes to try:
Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss out anything on SkinnyMs.
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.