Everyone loves a bite of juicy chicken coated in a crispy batter, but traditional fried chicken recipes, and even many baked chicken recipes, contain excess fat, cholesterol, calories, and refined and processed ingredients. Ditch the flour, white bread crumbs, and oils, and try a crispy clean eating chicken dish that will please friends, family, and loved ones, whether you serve it on a weeknight, or as a special dish on a weekend.
Coating your chicken with Greek yogurt adds protein and gives your chicken that creamy base that will allow you to cover it with your savory batter. Whole wheat bread crumbs offer fiber and nutrients that white bread cannot, and Parmesan adds a dose of vibrant flavor and protein with a limited amount of fat and calories. When you mix these ingredients together and smother your chicken in them, you’ll find yourself waiting in anticipation as the aroma or oregano and Parmesan fills your kitchen.
The serving possibilities for these easy chicken breasts are endless. Looking for a light dinner? Try this chicken with a light green side salad. Need a heartier meal? Pair these chicken breasts with a side of whole grains and throw some green veggies on the skillet for a well-rounded family dinner.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 piece parmesan crusted chicken with toppings | Calories: 397 | Total Fat: 12 g | Saturated Fat: 3 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 117 mg | Sodium: 121 mg | Carbohydrates: 25 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 45 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9
- 1/2 cup whole wheat Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 (about 6-ounce) chicken breast halves, skinless and boneless
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped (optional, for garnish)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (optional, for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, oregano, sea salt and pepper then set aside. Coat all the sides of the chicken with the yogurt.
- Roll the chicken on the breadcrumb mixture and press lightly so that the coating will not fall off. Place the chicken on a non-stick or parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle the chicken some extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the chicken turns golden. Garnish with the tomatoes and onions if using then serve immediately.
Enjoy more of our healthy and delicious chicken recipes:
Don’t miss out on the latest from SkinnyMs. Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.