Quinoa takes roasted veggies to a whole new level!
Roasted vegetables are a great complement to this splendid grain. Quinoa has been in use for centuries, but has recently begun receiving attention in the western health foods movement. It is a great alternative to pasta and rice, so those who want to cut their carbs or eat foods lower on the glycemic index are in luck. Quinoa recipes are all over the map, from soups and salads to casseroles and even cupcakes. This versatile grain is a superstar we love.
Quinoa pairs so well with other healthy foods. Not only can it be used as a substitute for less healthy ingredients, it also makes an excellent companion to everyone’s favorite healthy foods, such as chicken, fish, and vegetables.
This recipe is gluten free and vegetarian friendly. Eliminate the optional cheese, use vegetable broth and this recipe also becomes vegan friendly.
Skinny Ms. recently released The New Quinoa Recipe eBook featuring scrumptious dishes like, Enchiladas Verde, Asian Stir-Fry and even Apple Crumb Cake, all made with what might be the world’s most perfect food, quinoa.
Quinoa with Roasted Vegetables
- 1 zucchini cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper cored seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 onion cut in half then into thin slices
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- sea salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup white quinoa dry
- 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth, fat-free, low-sodium
- 1/4 cup basil freshly chopped
- 8 grape tomatoes sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated, fat-free
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl add zucchini, bell pepper, onion and black pepper and sea salt, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and toss to coat.
- Line a large rimmed cookie sheet with foil, add zucchini, bell pepper and onion. Roast 20 minutes. In the meantime, add pre-rinsed quinoa and broth to a medium pot, cover, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, add basil and grape tomatoes, toss to combine, cover for 5 additional minutes. Remove vegetables from oven, combine with cooked quinoa, and place on a serving platter. Top with parmesan cheese and serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily enewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.