Rhubarbs have a delicious tart flavor that is so good when naturally sweetened. This veggie is popularly used in pies, jams, tarts, crumbles, drinks, and sauces. This time, we are sharing a refreshing, simple drink recipe that you can make over and over again, because after cooking the rhubarb syrup, you can conserve it in the refrigerator and prepare this drink whenever you like.
Yields: 2 servings | Serving Size: 1 glass with ice (1/2 of recipe) | Calories: 129 | Total Fat: 0 g | Saturated Fat: 0 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 3 mg | Carbohydrates: 33 g | Dietary Fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 31 g | Protein: 1 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8
- 1/2 cup rhubarb stalks, chopped (rhubarb leaves are not edible)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey, sucanat, coconut palm sugar, or maple syrup
- Sparkling water
- 1 lemon, sliced, for garnishing
- Over medium heat, in a medium saucepan, put the water, rhubarb and brown sugar together then boil.
- When it boils, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the rhubarb becomes very soft.
- Using a sieve, let the rhubarb syrup pass through it, press the rhubarb to take out the juices then discard them. Let the syrup cool down.
- In 2 glasses, divide the syrup. Fill them up with ice, pour the sparkling water then stir.
- Garnish with the lemon.
Here are more delicious drinks to choose from:
Don’t miss out on the latest from SkinnyMs. Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.