This salad beets any other salad you've had!
Looking for a way to expand your selection of vegetables, but not sure where to begin? Roasted Beet Salad is my all time favorite. You can use canned beets for this recipe, but I recommend freshly roasted if available. These have the freshest, rain-soaked and just from the garden taste that I love. Healthy salads come in all shapes and sizes, and the key to incorporating salad into your daily menu is to switch things up. Our roasted beet salad recipe is a great addition to your collection of salad recipes.
The problem many healthy eaters find with salads is once they are fully prepared, they are no longer all that healthy. This is especially true when you do not have complete control over salad ingredients. Many of the salads featured on the menus of popular restaurants are packed with calories and actually unhealthier than the burgers and fries not listed in the “healthy” section of the menu! Making salads at home is the best way to ensure they have the freshest, healthiest ingredients. You control the calories, you control the ingredients, and you guarantee you will be eating the vitamins and nutrients that will keep you healthy and vibrant.
Roasted Beet Salad
- 2 red beets medium, fresh, scrubbed and dried
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups arugula
- 1 Belgian endive chopped (see below for selecting), optional
- 1/2 cup walnuts diced (provides healthy fats)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles low fat or fat free
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Beet Salad Instructions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush beets with olive oil and wrap individually in foil, place on a cookie sheet and bake approximately 1 hour, or until tender. Allow beets to cool at room temperature while still in foil, then peel the thin outer skin and cut into 1/4 inch slices. Store beets in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Layer salad ingredients by placing arugula and beets on a serving platter. Top with Belgian Endive, walnuts, Feta Cheese and top off with freshly ground black pepper and drizzle with dressing.
Lemon Dressing Instructions
- Combine lemon juice and oil in a decanter and shake until combined. Refrigerator until ready to use.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily eNewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.