You probably know enough to be wary about the healthiness of certain salad recipes. Throw on a bunch of high fat add-ins, and it isn’t difficult to turn an otherwise clean-eating salad into a high-calorie time bomb. Thankfully, our tasty Taco Salad recipe doesn’t fall into this category! It allows you to enjoy usually off-limits Mexican flavor atop a pile of your favorite healthy greens, and it only contains 210 calories per serving! This salad is not only delicious, but nutritious, too!
Mexican salad is a great alternative to traditional Mexican dishes that usually feature tortillas. These convenient shells for wrapping your meat and fillings are tasty, but usually packed with calories. Some are even deep fried! A taco salad recipe is a much healthier option because you satisfy your craving for Mexican without ruining your diet. The taste is the same, it just comes in a bowl instead of a crispy corn or flour shell.
If you are looking for a great alternative to tacos, burritos, or any of the ghastly items on your favorite Mexican drive-thru menu, this salad hits the spot.
You might also like some of our other clean and creative Salad Recipes.
Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 204 | Total Fat: 9 gm | Saturated Fats: 2 gm | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 63 mg | Sodium: 121 mg | Carbohydrates: 11 gm | Dietary Fiber: 3 gm | Sugars: 1 gm | Protein: 20 gm | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5 |
- 1 chicken breast, on the bone with skin (remove skin after cooking)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans non-fat refried beans
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning, Recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Topping Suggestions
- Roma Tomatoes, diced
- Romain Heart Lettuce, chopped
- Guacamole, Recipe
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Salsa, no sugar added, (Salsa Recipe)
- Non-fat Greek yogurt
- Corn chips, no sugar added, organic is best
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a roasting pan add chicken, cover and roast approximately 35 minutes or until the juices run clear. Allow to cool slightly, remove skin and cut into 1" chunks. In a medium skillet, combine chicken, taco seasoning and 1/2 cup water. Cook over medium-low heat just until water is absorbed, approximately 5 minutes.
- In a separate pot, warm the beans with a little water to make them more fluid, not runny, just pourable.
- Place the seasoned chicken in the bottom of a 9" x13" casserole dish. Pour the beans over chicken. On top of beans, layer with the toppings of choice and serve.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily eNewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.