A delicious presentation rolled into a bite size appetizer.
What says delicious better than a little fresh seafood and a dab of avocado all wrapped up into one bite-size bundle of flavor? Not much, right? Glad to see we’re on the same page. Now come along and we’ll show you the good stuff.
Salmon avocado bites are the perfect healthy appetizer to bring to a party or to serve to your guests before they sit down to dinner. And best of all? They’ll think you worked a lot harder than you did to create these lovely little snacks.
And what might be even better than the pure simplicity of this colorful treat? The nutritious boost it brings to the party, too! The ever-trusty and dependable salmon shows up with an entourage of omega-3 fatty acids and lean protein, of course. The always creamy and inviting avocado touts an array of B vitamins, eye-supporting lutein, and dietary fiber. And low-fat Greek yogurt packs another protein punch without the excess fat and calories in most creamy, cheesy ingredients. Feeling intrigued? You should be! Whip up a delicious batch of Skinny Ms. Salmon Avoado Bites for your next festive occasion, and let the compliments roll in.
Salmon Avocado Bites
- 4 ounces wild smoked salmon or lox, package, cut if necessary to make 12 pieces
- 5 to 6 slices pumpernickel loaf dark rye or black bread for substitutes, cut into 12 rounds *see instructions
- 2 avocados medium-sized, ripe, pitted
- 1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup dill sprigs fresh, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 lemon half juiced, half sliced* as directed in the instructions
- *Lemon slices are optional- they are for appearance (as pictured), and for squeezing juice onto the bite just before eating
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
- If bread is unsliced, slice into thin, even slices, and cut into 12 rounds with a cookie cutter or by pressing the top of a jar with a small circular top, such as an empty pasta sauce or jam jar. Discard crusts or save for homemade bread crumbs.
- Place rounds on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and brush 1 tablespoon olive oil onto the tops with a pastry brush or use the back of a spoon to spread on. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Toast until crisp, for about 10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- Scoop all avocado flesh into the blender, and add yogurt, 1/8 cup dill, lemon juice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Puree until completely smooth. Slice half lemon in half. Cut into thin slices to make small triangles, as pictured. Add a spoonful of the avocado puree to the top of a toast round, roll a piece of the salmon, add on top of the puree, add lemon slices if using, and top with a sprig of dill. Repeat with all of the toasts.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Reader feedback is important to us. Leave us a comment below and tell us what you think of this article and what you’d like to see from us in the future.