Baked potatoes taste great, but traditional recipes often include less-than-desirable ingredients like butter, sour cream, and marshmallows. These indulgent additives turn an ordinary vegetable into a caloric nightmare! Luckily, this Southwestern Stuffed Potatoes recipe goes above and beyond, delivering everything you love about baked potatoes (and more!) without sabotaging a healthy diet!
Russet potatoes are baked and stuffed to the brim with a mixture of fire roasted tomatoes, black beans, and savory spices. This beautiful blend of south-of-the-border flavors puts a unique twist on ordinary baked potatoes. These wholesome ingredients also boost the meal’s protein and fiber content, helping you feel full for hours. Sprinkle some cheese over the stuffed potatoes and pop them in the oven for an additional 10 minutes for an irresistibly cheesy finish.
Hearty and guilt-free, these southwestern style potatoes add excitement to any meal.
Yields: 6 servings | Calories: 207 | Total Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 418mg | Carbohydrates: 31g | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 9g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6
- 3 medium Russet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes, with juices
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pierce the potatoes with a fork, rub with oil, and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, mix the tomatoes, black beans and seasonings in a medium bowl.
- When the potatoes are done, slice in half lengthwise. Scoop out most of the potato and add to the bowl with the bean mixture. Mix and divide between the potato shells. Top with cheese and return to the oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Top with the scallions and serve.
We need your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site. Leave a comment in the section below.