Healthy meals can also be filling meals, and this skillet lemon chicken with roasted vegetables is one of them. Chicken is a fantastic source of lean protein, and the root vegetables in this dish are great sources of fiber. Protein and fiber are both important for maintaing a healthy weight. They also help keep you full.
This dish isn’t only healthy–it’s tasty, too! Lemon, rosemary, garlic, and onion are richly flavorful, and they add zest to otherwise plain chicken. If you like, you can make a large batch and enjoy the leftovers for lunch later in the week. This dish is so yummy, we think you’ll probably want to do just that!
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 chicken breast, 1/2 cup cooked vegetables | Calories: 398 | Total Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 105mg | Sodium: 436mg | Carbohydrates: 43g | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 10g | Protein: 38g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 10
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 (4 to 6 ounce) boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small red onion, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 medium Idaho potatoes, peeled and diced medium
- 1 red bell pepper, diced large
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced medium
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced medium
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In an oven-safe skillet heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the chicken, garlic and onions and cook until the chicken and onions are lightly browned. It's ok if the chicken is not cooked all the way, it will finish in the oven.
- Add the potato, carrots, parsnip, chicken broth, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil then place in the oven fro 15 minutes. After the 15 minutes is up, stir in the lemon zest and juice. Return to the oven and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!