Enjoy all the comforts of home with a bowl of Skillet Red Beans and Rice. In our special recipe, juicy veggies and savory spices blend beautifully with brown rice. Ground turkey meatballs make a chewy and delicious accompaniment to the rice base.
This hearty Skillet Red Beans and Rice dish offers a host of textures and flavors. With a protein punch from beans and turkey and carbohydrates from brown rice, this meal ranks high on the satisfying scale. It packs a boatload of nutrients in every bite. Dish up this foolproof meal and we promise you’ll make your dinner guests smile!
Yields: 6 servings | Calories: 307 | Total Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 721mg | Carbohydrates: 43g | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Protein: 17g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9 |
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup (uncooked) 10-minute brown rice (we used Uncle Ben's)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 (15-ounce) cans red beans
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- For sausages:
- In a medium bowl, mix ground turkey with all sausage ingredients (except flour). Mix well until blended. Form small meatballs, about 1-inch. Roll on a plate of flour, shaking off excess.
- Line meatballs on a plate and refrigerate while you cook the rice and beans.
- For rice and beans:
- In a medium saucepan cook brown rice according to instructions on the box. Once cooked turn off burner and leave covered until ready to serve.
- In a large skillet with olive oil, sauté sausages over medium heat until they are cooked through and golden brown. Move sausages to one side of saucepan. Place sausages on a paper towel lined plate. In the same skillet, sauté onions, and bell pepper until tender, or about 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 additional minute.
- Return sausages to the skillet, add red beans, vegetable broth, and bay leaves, toss to combine. Cook for about 5 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened. Season with remaining salt and pepper.
- Serve over cooked brown rice.
More Protein-Rich Bean Recipes
It’s always a pleasure to hear from our readers. Tell us what you think in the comment section below.