There’s something addictive about the sound a platter of sizzling fajitas makes. When you’re at a Mexican restaurant, you might plan to order something completely different until you hear that platter come out of the kitchen. As the server walks them around the dining room, the smell is so intoxicating you immediately change your mind and order some for yourself! They might sound appealing, and they might even taste great, but they’re not always the healthiest option, thanks to all the added fat, salt, and sugary sauces. Luckily, it’s easy to make these Skinny Chicken Fajitas at home. They taste just as good, but you’ll feel much better about it!
These Skinny Chicken Fajitas are an easy after work meal, but they’re also full-flavored enough to serve during a dinner party. No one will even notice that they’re healthy! As long as you’re having Skinny Chicken Fajitas, check out our recipe for Skinny Mexican Rice to go alongside them.
Do I Need a Cast Iron Skillet?
Restaurants often use cast iron skillets for their sizzling fajitas. Do you need one for your Skinny Chicken Fajitas? No, definitely not, although we love cooking fajitas in cast iron for a few reasons.
While cast iron is slow to heat up, it will retain its heat for a significantly long period of time. That quality makes it a great serving vessel – and why restaurants use them so frequently. When your cookware doubles as a serving platter that will keep the food sizzling and hot, that means there are less dishes to wash!
The other great thing about cast iron is it develops a nonstick surface as you use it. If you keep it well seasoned, you won’t need to use as much oil when cooking in cast iron. That’s a great way to save a few extra calories on each meal.
Some people believe you can’t wash cast iron, but that’s actually a myth. You can absolutely use soap on your cast iron without ruining the finish, you just want to dry it as soon as it’s finished washing and you never want to let it soak in water in the sink. These bad habits can cause the material to rust. Learn more about how to clean and season a cast iron pan.
Let us know in the comments if you love cooking recipes like this in your cast iron pan! You can also fill us in if you used another type of pan and how it turned out. We always love hearing from you!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving size: 1/6 of recipe | Calories: 271 | Total Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 33 mg |Sodium: 1226 mg | Carbohydrates: 30 g | Dietary fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 3 g | Protein: 23 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7 |
- 1.5 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 4" strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, coarsely chopped (leave the seeds for more heat)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, fat-free
- 6 (8 inch) whole grain flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, fat-free
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Use two medium bowls, add chicken to one and bell peppers, onion and jalapeno to the other. Combine in a small bowl, olive oil, black pepper, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, salt and cilantro. Divide oil mixture evenly over chicken and bell pepper mixture, toss both to combine.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat, add chicken and sear on both sides. Remove chicken and place on a plate while cooking peppers. Reduce heat to medium, add bell pepper mixture to the same skillet and cook until tender, about 8 to10 minutes. Return chicken to skillet with peppers, add chicken broth and cook until chicken is done and broth has cooked down.
- Warm Tortillas
- Oven Method: Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Wrap tortillas that are stacked on top of each other, in a damp dishtowel and place in a covered casserole dish. Warm for 15 to 20 minutes while chicken cooks.
- Microwave Method: A microwave can be used as an alternative. Stack tortillas, with a paper towel in between each one, cover with a damp dishtowel and warm for 1 minute. Serve immediately.
- Evenly divide fajitas between 6 tortillas, add Greek yogurt and cheddar cheese.
Get more great recipes by subscribing to our newsletter or following us on Facebook!