As long as you’re having a Skinny Chicken Fajita, check out our recipe for Skinny Mexican Rice and have one SkinnyLicious meal.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving size: 1/6 of recipe | Calories: 271 | Total Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 33 mg |Sodium: 1226 mg | Carbohydrates: 30 g | Dietary fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 3 g | Protein: 23 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7 |
- 1.25 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 4" strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded, coarsely chopped (leave the seeds for more heat)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, low-fat, low sodium
- 6 (8 inch) whole grain flour tortillas, reduced sodium if available (tortilla recipe)
- 1/2 cup fat free, plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
- Omit the cumin, chili powder, black pepper, cayenne and cilantro and use instead 2 teaspoons Skinny Ms. Taco Seasoning.
- Use two medium bowls, add chicken to one and bell peppers, onion and jalapeno to the other. Combine in a small bowl, olive oil, black pepper, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, salt and cilantro. Divide oil mixture evenly over chicken and bell pepper mixture, toss both to combine.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat, add chicken and sear on both sides. Remove chicken and place on a plate while cooking peppers. Reduce heat to medium, add bell pepper mixture to the same skillet and cook until tender, about 8 to10 minutes. Return chicken to skillet with peppers, add chicken broth and cook until chicken is done and broth has cooked down.
- Warm Tortillas
- Oven Method: Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Wrap tortillas that are stacked on top of each other, in a damp dishtowel and place in a covered casserole dish. Warm for 15 to 20 minutes while chicken cooks.
- Microwave Method: A microwave can be used as an alternative. Stack tortillas, with a paper towel in between each one, cover with a damp dishtowel and warm for 1 minute. Serve immediately.
- Evenly divide fajitas between 6 tortillas, add Greek yogurt and cheddar cheese.