Let’s face it: kicking the soda habit can be hard. If you’re having trouble getting rid of the routine completely, why not trying making your own fizzy drinks at home! Cue our recipe for homemade skinny ginger ale! By using sparkling water, homemade ginger syrup, and lime juice, you can create a healthy drink that tastes even better than store-bought versions!
Fresh ginger has a taste unlike any other – sweet, spicy, and just a hint of citrus. In this recipe, we chop fresh ginger root and mix it with turbinado sugar and water. This mixture is brought to a boil and then reduced until a caramel color “syrup” is formed. Once this syrup is cooled, it can be mixed with sparkling water to create an amazing homemade ale recipe.
Yields: 1 1/2 cups ginger syrup | Serving Size: 8 fluid oz. ginger ale |Calories: 85 | Total Fat: 0.5 g | Saturated Fat: 0 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 9 mg | Carbohydrates: 20.3 g | Dietary Fiber: 1.1 g | Sugars: 14.4 g | Protein: 0.8 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4
- Ginger Syrup
- 1 cup freshly chopped ginger
- 1 cup raw turbinado sugar
- 3 cups water
- Ginger Ale
- 3 Tbsp ginger syrup
- 8 fluid oz. sparkling water
- ½ tsp lime juice
- dash of bitters (optional)
- Place the roughly chopped ginger in a blender or food processor. Pulse until ginger is even more finely chopped.
- In a saucepan, combine ginger, sugar, and water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for approximately 90 minutes or until mixture is reduced by half (stirring occasionally) The syrup will be a deep caramel color.
- Strain the syrup through a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make ginger ale, combine 3 Tablespoons of ginger syrup, 8 fluid oz of sparkling water, ½ tsp lime juice (or more to taste). Stir and serve over ice.
- Note: you can always add more or less ginger syrup to your liking!
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.