A homemade fizzy drink you can feel good about!
Let’s face it: kicking the soda habit can be hard. If you’re having trouble getting rid of the routine completely, why not trying making your own fizzy drinks at home! Cue our recipe for homemade skinny ginger ale! By using sparkling water, homemade ginger syrup, and lime juice, you can create a healthy drink that tastes even better than store-bought versions!
Fresh ginger has a taste unlike any other – sweet, spicy, and just a hint of citrus. In this recipe, we chop fresh ginger root and mix it with turbinado sugar and water. This mixture is brought to a boil and then reduced until a caramel color “syrup” is formed. Once this syrup is cooled, it can be mixed with sparkling water to create an amazing homemade ale recipe.
You might also love these other healthy drink recipes from Skinny Ms.:
Zingy Pink Grapefruit Soda
Watermelon Chiller with Hint of Mint
Skinny Homemade Ginger Ale
- 1 cup ginger freshly chopped
- 1 cup raw turbinado sugar
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons ginger syrup
- 8 fluid ounces sparkling water
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- dash of bitters optional
- Place the roughly chopped ginger in a blender or food processor. Pulse until ginger is even more finely chopped.
- In a saucepan, combine ginger, sugar, and water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for approximately 90 minutes or until mixture is reduced by half (stirring occasionally) The syrup will be a deep caramel color.
- Strain the syrup through a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make ginger ale, combine 3 Tablespoons of ginger syrup, 8 fluid oz of sparkling water, ½ tsp lime juice (or more to taste). Stir and serve over ice.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily enewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.
How much ginger syrup does this make, and how long will the ginger syrup last in the fridge?
It makes 1 1/2 cups and lasts up to one week.
Do you peel the ginger?
Monica, Yes, you should peel the ginger.