We can’t think of a more perfect summer treat than peach shortcakes! These flaky shortcakes, topped with fresh, local peaches, are a clean eating dessert that your whole family can love. With a little recipe tweaking, we have transformed this classic American sweet into guilt-free treat. Juicy peaches are taken to a whole new level by pairing them with a whole-wheat shortcake recipe and an awesome greek yogurt topping to replace the typical options of whipped cream or ice cream. Peaches are an amazing superfood so feel good about indulging a little with this recipe : )
Feel free to substitute your favorite berries or fruit in this recipe in order to please your taste buds!
Yields: 6 small shortcakes | Serving Size: 1 shortcake |Calories: 373 | Total Fat: 17.5 g | Saturated Fat: 14.6 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 5 mg | Sodium: 214 mg | Carbohydrates: 48.1g | Dietary Fiber: 2.6 g | Sugars: 13.9 g | Protein: 8.8 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 16
- 2 cups whole wheat flour, optional white whole wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ Tablespoon sucanat
- 4 Tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 2 cups thinly sliced peaches
- 1 tsp honey
- Honey Greek Yogurt Topping
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt, low-fat or fat-free
- 1 ½ Tablespoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sucanat and whisk until evenly combine.
- Add the coconut oil to the flour mixture. Gently cut the coconut oil into the dry ingredients by using a handheld pastry blender. Continue to cut in the coconut oil until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- To the mixture, add the vanilla and almond milk and gently stir until a dough is formed.
- Form 4 rounds (1 inch thick, 3 inch diameter) out of this dough and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake shortcakes at 475° Fahrenheit for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Assemble toppings while shortcakes are baking. In a small bowl, combine peach slices and honey and stir until peaches are will coated. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In another small bowl, mix together greek yogurt, honey, and vanilla. Stir well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Allow shortcakes to cool before slicing open and topping each with peaches and honey yogurt topping.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.