Savory shredded meat perfect for sandwiches and much more!
When you think Italian, there’s a good chance your mind goes straight to pasta. (That’s where mine is most of the time anyway.) But true Italian fans know the cuisine doesn’t begin with spaghetti and end with fettuccine Alfredo. Italian beef is a delicious, pasta-free Italian dish, often served on a roll as a hot sandwich. This skinny slow cooker Italian beef is an easy, slimmed down version of the savory sandwich filler. This tender shredded beef is great in the classic sandwich, served with rice, or as an entrée all on its own. Easy, versatile, and full of leftover possibilities, this tasty recipe is perfect for weeknight dinners.
Slow and Simple
Everyone knows the slow cooker is a lifesaver for busy weeknights. You can throw this skinny slow cooker Italian beef recipe together in just five minutes in the morning, and let it cook low and slow all day. Alternately, you can also speed things up and cook this dish on high for four hours.
Whether you’re going low and slow or taking the high road, the key to any good slow cooker recipe is simplicity. If it’s not an easy recipe, it pretty much defeats the whole point of the slow cooker. A perfect slow cooker recipe, this skinny Italian beef is really just a matter of tossing the ingredients together and letting the slow cooker do its thing.
Start with your beef sirloin roast. Coat with a savory mixture of salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders, Italian seasoning, and tomato paste. Place in the slow cooker and top with onions, peppers, and banana peppers (my favorite). Pour low sodium beef broth over the top and that’s it! Just put the lid on the slow cooker and let it take care of the rest.
So Many Ways to Serve
When the beef is done cooking, remove the roast and shred. Return the shredded beef to the slow cooker and mix with the peppers, onions, and broth for a tender, savory dish.
This skinny slow cooker Italian beef is perfect in sandwiches. Serve on a whole grain roll and top with melted mozzarella cheese for a healthy version of the classic Italian beef sandwich. Perfect for a weeknight or a tasty game day meal.
The sandwich route isn’t the only way to go with this recipe. This savory shredded beef is great served with barbecue sauce, over rice or quinoa, or even all on its own. With so many options, this recipe is great for leftovers and easy to stretch over multiple days.
Skinny Slow Cooker Italian Beef
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 6 ounces tomato paste can
- 2 pounds beef sirloin roast
- 1 yellow onion sliced thin
- 1 green bell pepper sliced thin
- 1 banana pepper sliced thin
- 1/2 cup beef broth low-sodium
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion, powder, Italian seasoning, and tomato paste. Mix well. Coat the roast in the mixture and place in the slow cooker. Set the onions and peppers on top of the beef and pour the beef broth over top.
- Cook, on high, for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Remove the roast and shred. Return the shredded beef to the slow cooker and mix with the peppers and broth. Serve the shredded beef on it's own, with BBQ sauce, or on a sandwich!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms