When people talk about their number one cravings, the foods that break them of their healthy eating habits the most frequently, ice cream is a common offender! Creamy, sweet, and comforting, it hits the spot in a way that many foods, whether sweet or salty, just don’t! But unfortunately, ice cream often packs a whopping dose of calories, fat, and cholesterol. Made with heavy creams and a sugar content that would scandalize Willy Wonka, most of the commercially available ice creams you’ll find at the grocery store are simply too heavy and rich to be a part of a healthy eating lifestyle.
But at SkinnyMs., we don’t think that any food should be on the “do not eat” list. We’ve spent time in the kitchen, devising an ice cream recipe that will satisfy your craving for the frozen treat, while staying away from fat and calories, and even providing you with some much needed dietary benefits. Our Skinny Strawberry Ice Cream is the perfect treat for hot summer days, or for any time you feel like curling up with a bowl of sweet comfort.
And you don’t need an expensive, clunky ice cream maker for this healthy ice cream recipe. Simply add your frozen strawberries, Greek yogurt, balsamic, and honey to your food processor, and blend until smooth and creamy. The strawberries, full of antioxidants and dietary fiber, are full of a sweetness that’s enhanced by the gourmet blend of balsamic and honey. And Greek yogurt gives this recipe a creamy texture while loading you with lean protein. Serve and enjoy immediately, or freeze for a special treat any time.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving size: 2/3 cup | Calories: 116 | Total Fat: 1 g | Saturated Fat 0 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 2 mg | Sodium: 45 mg | Carbohydrates: 26 g | Dietary fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 18 g | Protein: 2 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 2 |
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen organic strawberries
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt, plain, fat-free
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse until blended and creamy. It will take a few minutes to get all the strawberries well blended. Recommend pre-sliced strawberries if available.
- TIP: For a vegan version, use canned coconut milk...about 1/2 cup or So Delicious brand coconut milk yogurt. Also, for a chunky ice cream add 6 -8 fresh strawberries after processing.
- NOTE: The ice cream is best if eaten right away but can be frozen in a freezer safe container for up to one week.
Give us your thoughts on this post, and on the content you’d like to see in the future, in our comments section!