Delicious, homemade baked beans have never been easier!
No backyard cookout is complete without a delicious side of baked beans! They go perfectly with a number of different meals, from barbecue ribs and pulled pork, to burgers and hot dogs, and more! These healthy slow cooker baked beans are an easy way to have a classic and simple side ready for any party, BBQ, or even a simple family meal. They’re super low-effort allowing you to focus on the main course and other sides with zero hassle!
The Easiest BBQ Side Dish
It’s so easy to make these delicious and flavorful baked beans. All you need to do is sauce onion and garlic, then toss all the ingredients in the crockpot, set it to cook, and you’ll have some healthy baked beans ready whenever you are. The flavors all meld together into a sweet and slightly spicy flavor we all know and love. This recipe is also vegan and gluten-free, so everyone can enjoy this dish at your next cookout!
Benefits of Beans
Baked beans are such a great side dish for meats, burgers, and any cookout, really. And when we put our Skinny Ms. spin on them, they are also very nutritious and packed with health benefits.
Beans themselves are a great source of protein and fiber. And because you’ll be cooking with dry beans, you’ll get a nice healthy amount of nutrients including antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals such as copper, folate, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorous, potassium, and zinc.
Then, we mix it up with tons of flavorful and nutrient-rich spices like smoked paprika, as well as beneficial apple cider vinegar and a touch of low-glycemic coconut sugar. Altogether, this amazing and healthful recipe will please your taste buds and your body!
How to Make Our Healthy Baked Beans with Just Your Slow Cooker
It really is almost too easy to make this dish. All you do is add all of the ingredients to your slow cooker. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours. That’s it! Now you’re ready to serve these simple and flavorful beans for everyone to enjoy.
Best Slow Cooker Baked Beans
- 2 tablespoons canola oil optional extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper diced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon spicy brown mustard optional stone ground or Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar more or less to taste
- 2 28-ounce cans baked beans we used Bush's Vegetarian Beans
- Saute onion in oil for 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 additional minute.
- Add all of the ingredients to your slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Serve It Up with These Recipes
Serve this dish with some of our other Skinny Ms. BBQ favorites:
- 7 Guilt-Free Burger Recipes for Summer
- Cherry Chipotle BBQ Chicken
- Southwestern Brussels Sprouts Coleslaw
- 7 Meatless BBQ Recipes
Loved this slow cooker recipe? We would love your feedback! Leave a comment below!