This brothy soup is a great comfort food when you have the cold or sniffles.
Our Slow Cooker Hot & Sour Soup is the perfect remedy for what ails you! The vegetables of course offer fiber, vitamins, and minerals, but there’s so much more to this soup! Red chili paste contains anti-inflammatory agents, mushrooms help lower cholesterol, rice vinegar is high in amino acids, and ginger is a super root full of health benefits. We’ve used tofu here in our recipe, but you could substitute with diced chicken if that isn’t your thing!
This brothy soup is a great comfort food when you have the cold or sniffles. You could even add rice or noodles for a heartier meal!
Slow Cooker Hot & Sour Soup
- 8 cups chicken broth low-sodium
- 1/4 cup lite soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 inch ginger fresh, peeled and grated
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili paste such as sriracha
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots julienned
- 1/2 cup carrots julienned
- 4 ounces Chinese mushrooms sliced (suggested: wood ears or cloud ears)
- 12 ounces tofu package, extra-firm, cubed
- 1 egg large, lightly beaten (optional for a more authentic taste and texture)
- green onions chopped, for garnish
- Whisk together broth, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, chili paste, sesame oil, salt, and pepper. Place bamboo, carrots, mushrooms, and tofu into slow cooker. Pour over the broth mixture and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours, or on high for 4 hours.
- If you choose to add egg, transfer the soup from the slow cooker into a saucepan on the stove. Bring the soup to a boil and slowly add the egg so that it creates strands through the soup. Top with green onions and serve!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Other recipes to try:
Hot & sour soup is a great soup for when you’re not feeling well. What is your go-to recipe for when you’re feeling under the weather? Let us know in the comments section below!