This pecan pie will become your go-to dessert!
Yes, we all indulge during the holiday season. But just because you want to splurge, doesn’t mean you have to be unhealthy about it. Furthermore, it does not take days to prepare a healthy meal. Slow cooker meals are a great option for the holidays and year-round.
Now keep in mind that any time you have pecans, you’re going to get a lot of fat. But the difference is, all the ingredients are real, whole foods. So your body actually gets nutrition from it. Plus, the fat from the pecans is healthy fat. So even though this is high in fat, it’s far better than a more traditional version. Learn more about healthy fats here.
Also, one of the nice perks of making this slow cooker pecan pie is that you don’t need any added oil in this recipe because it bakes in such a damp environment, unlike in the oven. Slow cooker recipes are great for creating convenience and shortening cooking time without sacrificing taste.
So enjoy this in moderation and without guilt.
Also, check out our Skinny Ms. Holiday Recipe Roundup.
We recommend a 4 quart slow cooker for this recipe.
Slow Cooker Pecan Pie
- 1 whole wheat pie crust (9-inch)
- 1/2 cup honey for a mildly sweet pie, or 3/4 cup honey for a moderately sweet pie
- 3 egg whites whipped with a fork
- 2 cups pecans diced
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch or white whole wheat flour
- IMPORTANT: This recipe only works if you lightly coat the bottom of the slow cooker insert with oil, and then lay a cut-to-fit piece of parchment on the bottom of the insert, on top of the oil. It's important that this fit well because the better it fits, the less trouble you'll have getting the pie out of the slow cooker.
- Make your pie crust and use half of it for this pie. You can also use a prepared, whole-grain pie crust.
- It's helpful if you have a pie tin to mold the dough in as well as for sizing it properly. If not, you can simply mold the rolled out dough (rolled to 1/4 inch thickness) into the slow cooker insert, pour in the batter and cut away the excess carefully with a knife.
- Mix all batter ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour batter into unbaked pie crust and cook on low for 3 hours. Then remove lid (careful not to let any water on the lid drip on to the pie), and cook for one more hour.
- To remove pie from slow cooker, carefully run a knife around the edge to gently separate it from the side of the pot. Nudge the pie a bit with the knife to get it loose enough to move around a tiny bit in the pot. Once you know it's come loose and the pot is cool enough to handle, place your hand on the pie and turn the pot upside down. It should slip nicely out of the pot into your hand. Set on a cool plate and allow to cool completely if you haven't already.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl plus add 2 tablespoons either coconut or canola oil. Pour batter into an unbaked pie crust and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees, and continue to bake for 20-25 minutes. The pie will have small cracks in the top when it’s done. Remove from oven and allow to cool overnight.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily eNewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.