Pop these in the slow cooker, sit back, and relax until you’re rewarded with yummy goodness.
Here at Skinny Ms., Philly cheesesteaks invoke memories of baseball games and good times with family and friends. Luckily, they’re also an easy dinner to whip up when life gets busy. However, grease and fat abound in the traditional sandwich, making it a poor option for an everyday meal, unlike our Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteaks! With lean sirloin steak and healthy olive oil, you can pack these up for a picnic and enjoy them without remorse.
Plus, we’ve packed ours with plenty of veggies to make a balanced meal! So pop these in the slow cooker, sit back, and relax until you’re rewarded with a mouthwatering Philly cheesesteak.
Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteaks
- 2 sweet onions sliced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds lean round sirloin steak thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 ounces button mushrooms sliced
- 2 green bell peppers sliced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce low-sodium
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth low-sodium
- 6 whole-wheat sub rolls
- 6 slices provolone cheese low-fat (optional: use whatever cheese you like best, as long as it melts well)
- Add onions, garlic and olive oil to bottom of slow cooker and mix so the veggies are coated in the oil. Add steak and butter, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add mushrooms and bell peppers, then add the broth and soy sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high 5 to 6 hours.
- To prepare the sandwich, add cheesesteak mixture to a roll, top with cheese, and lightly toast until cheese is melted.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Adapted from Half Baked Harvest.