Here at SkinnyMs., Philly cheesesteaks invoke memories of baseball games and good times with family and friends. Luckily, they’re also an easy dinner to whip up when life gets busy. However, grease and fat abound in the traditional sandwich, making it a poor option for an everyday meal, unlike our Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteaks! With lean sirloin steak and healthy olive oil, you can pack these up for a picnic and enjoy them without remorse.
Plus, we’ve packed ours with plenty of veggies to make a balanced meal! So pop these in the slow cooker, sit back, and relax until you’re rewarded with a mouthwatering Philly cheesesteak.
Yields: 12 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 sandwich | Calories: 314 | Total Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 573mg | Carbohydrates: 22g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Protein: 20g | SmartPoints: 10
- 2 sweet onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 pounds lean round sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 6 whole wheat sub rolls
- 6 slices low-fat provolone cheese (optional: use whatever cheese you like best, as long as it melts well)
- Add onions, garlic and olive oil to bottom of slow cooker and mix so the veggies are coated in the oil. Add steak and butter, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add mushrooms and bell peppers, then add the broth and soy sauce.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high 5 to 6 hours.
- To prepare the sandwich, add cheesesteak mixture to a roll, top with cheese, and lightly toast until cheese is melted.
Adapted from Half Baked Harvest.