A traditional Cuban recipe with a healthy spin!
Our slow cooker ropa viega is the kind of recipe your slow cooker was made for. After simmering all day with rich spices, this ropa vieja turns out amazingly tender, and melts in your mouth from the first bite to the last. If you’ve been keeping your eye out for some new and delicious slow cooker recipes, put this one at the top of your list; it does not disappoint!
Slow Cooker Ropa Vieja
- 15 ounces crushed tomatoes can
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 jalapeño minced
- 2 pounds flank steak slice the width of the flank and not the length
- 2 red bell peppers chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup black olives pitted and chopped
- green onions chopped, for garnish
- Add all ingredients, except the olives, in your slow cooker and stir to coat. Cover and cook over low heat for 8 hours, or until beef is tender.
- When beef is tender, remove and shred with 2 forks. Add back to the pot and stir in the olives. Serve over rice if desired.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms