Our slow cooker ropa viega is the kind of recipe your slow cooker was made for. After simmering all day with rich spices, this ropa vieja turns out amazingly tender, and melts in your mouth from the first bite to the last. If you’ve been keeping your eye out for some new and delicious slow cooker recipes, put this one at the top of your list; it does not disappoint!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: about 1/2 cup|Calories: 348| Total Fat: 13 g | Saturated Fat: 5 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 83 mg | Sodium: 380 mg | Carbohydrates: 11 g | Dietary Fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 7 g | Protein: 45 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 8
- 1 15-ounce crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 2 pounds flank steak, slice the width of the flank and not the length
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup pitted and chopped black olives
- Chopped green onions, for garnish
- Add all ingredients, except the olives, in your slow cooker and stir to coat. Cover and cook over low heat for 8 hours, or until beef is tender.
- When beef is tender, remove and shred with 2 forks. Add back to the pot and stir in the olives. Serve over rice if desired.