A creamy vegan soup to warm the soul and nourish the body.
Cozy up to a belly-warming soup that couldn’t be more nourishing. A velvety, nutrient-dense broth of light coconut milk, sweet potato, and vegetable juice is filled to the brim with hearty bites of root vegetables and white beans. Add some warming spices, and you have yourself one tasty and filling soup.
Slow Cooker Spicy Sweet Potato & Bean Soup is completely vegan, containing no meat or dairy products. Though filling, it’s light enough for your body to digest into energy quickly. The medium-chained fatty acids found in the coconut milk are easy for the body to use, rather than store as fat, so you don’t need to fear coconut milk fat in recipes! Add to that the health benefits of sweet potatoes, and the vitamins, fiber, and protein of the beans.
Try it and do let us know your thoughts!
Slow Cooker Spicy Sweet Potato & Bean Soup
- 1 sweet potato medium
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 4 carrots medium, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 15 ounces great northern beans can
- 1 cup vegetable juice optional tomato juice
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup lite coconut milk canned
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon ginger freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wrap sweet potato in foil, place on an oven-safe pan, and bake until tender, approximately 1 hour. Allow to cool slightly before peeling.
- In a medium skillet, add oil and sauté onion over medium-low heat until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Add onion, sweet potato, and all other ingredients to the slow cooker, stir to combine. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours, or high 3-4 hours.
- Stovetop version: Follow the instructions above except add ingredients to a heavy pot, bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until carrots are tender, approximately two hours. Add additional broth or water for a thinner soup consistency.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Also, be sure to check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
What’s your favorite slow cooker recipe? Fill us in by using the comments section below.