A zesty chili sure to crank up the heat!
This slow cooker chili recipe is a touch on the warm side but can easily be toned down by adding less red pepper and using diced tomatoes without habaneros. On the reverse, if you prefer more heat, add 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or a few dashes of hot sauce.
Slow Cooker - Spicy Three Bean Turkey Chili
- 1 pound lean ground turkey I used 93% lean
- 1 sweet onion small, diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 15 ounces dark red kidney beans can, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces black beans can, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces pinto beans can, drained and rinsed
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes with chiles can
- 6 ounces tomato paste can
- 1 cup tomato juice or vegetable juice
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes if you prefer less heat, reduce accordingly
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 2 cups water
- In a large saucepan, add ground turkey and cook over medium heat, breaking up meat with a fork. Just after losing its pink color, add onion and garlic and cook until onions are tender, approximately 4 minutes. Drain off any fat.
- Add ground turkey and remaining ingredients to the slow cooker, stir and cover. Cook on low 6 to 8 hours.
STOVE TOP VERSION:
- Follow instructions for cooking ground turkey, onion, and garlic. Add cooked turkey and the remaining ingredients to a large pot, stir and bring to a boil. Add 1/2 cup additional water if chili becomes too thick. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms