Make this chili a healthy and delicious staple in your family's kitchen!
Make the easiest, most healthy, and most delicious chili on the block with our super-simple recipe for Slow Cooker Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili. Perfect when topped with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt, this chili also pairs nicely with slices of avocado that lend a creaminess and make it so you’ll never even miss the usual chili-and-cheddar combo.
We start off with coconut oil as our cooking oil, which contains a unique combination of fatty acids that make it a healthy powerhouse. Add sweet potato, a superfood that contains beta-carotene, fiber, and vitamins A, C, and E. Black beans offer that powerful combination of both protein and fiber-rich complex carbohydrates, and lend a rich, earthy flavor to this chili.
Chili powder contains heart-healthy capsaicin, which fights cancer and stabilizes blood sugar. Avocado lends omega-3 fatty acids, and Greek yogurt offers lean protein. This chili’s blend of ingredients make it a rich, satisfying meal that will give you long-lasting energy and warm you from within.
Did we mention that it’s a cinch to prepare? Simply combine the ingredients in your slow cooker, set the timer, and go about your day. When you return to lift the lid, your home will be filled with the savory aroma of this Mexican-inspired dish, and the whole family will want a bowlful. Set the toppings out, and everyone can add their favorites, making this sweet potato and black bean chili a true crowd-pleaser.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili
- 1 sweet potato large, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 sweet onion small, diced
- 1 garlic clove
- 15 ounces black beans can, drained (optional pinto beans)
- 20 ounces fire-roasted diced tomatoes cans, with liquid
- 1 to 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt to taste
- avocado sliced
- jalapeno sliced
- Greek yogurt plain
- cilantro chopped
- Place all ingredients (except toppings) in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours. When the sweet potatoes are tender, the chili is ready. Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms