What’s the secret to an interesting chili? Chocolate! Our Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili contains just one spoonful of cocoa powder, but it adds a rich depth of flavor to this stew. Combined with ground turkey, fire roasted tomatoes and plenty of herbs and spice, this is sure to become your favorite new chili recipe.
Serve this buffet style at your next house party with optional add-ins like jalapeños, sour cream, crumbled tortillas, and low fat cheese. No one need ever know that you just tossed everything into a slow cooker to make it!
Yields: 6 cups | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 275 | Total Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 676mg | Carbohydrates: 33g | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 8g | Protein: 23g | SmartPoints: 8
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (14.5 ounce) fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker, breaking up the ground turkey into bits with a wood spoon. Mix to combine. Cook on low 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours.
- If desired, serve with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt and whole grain tortillas crumbled on top.
Other recipes to try:
What secret ingredients do you use to make your chili great? Let us know in the comments section below!