Steak dinners are synonymous with indulgence. Our Slow Cooker Swiss Steak has all the extravagance of your typical steakhouse meal with minimal fat! With the lean cut of top round and fresh veggies, this is a perfect dish for Friday date night or to serve to guests at a dinner party. Typical Swiss steak meals are loaded with cream, but our version uses Greek yogurt to get the same silky consistency without all the unhealthy fat. And by using tomato sauce and low-sodium broth, you get all the flavor without the excess sugar and salt.
We recommend serving over brown rice or Creamy Garlic Mashed Cauliflower with a side salad or steamed vegetables.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 steak + 1/4 veggies | Calories: 483 | Total Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 0mg | Cholesterol: 122mg | Sodium: 915mg | Carbohydrates: 23g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Protein: 43g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 13
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 4 top round steaks
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- Add onion and carrots to slow cooker.
- Season steaks with salt and pepper, flour both sides and shake off excess. Add oil to a large skillet and turn to medium heat, add steaks. Brown the steaks on both sides and transfer to slow cooker. Add mushrooms to the top of the steaks.
- Add broth to the skillet, whisking and scraping up all the browned bits at the bottom of the pan. Mix in the tomato sauce, thyme, and paprika then pour over steaks.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 4 to 5 hours. Remove steaks to a serving plate. Stir the Greek yogurt and parsley into the liquid. Heat for another 10 minutes. Ladle sauce over steaks and serve!
Adapted from The Midnight Cooker.
Other recipes to try:
What recipe do you make when you’re feeling indulgent? Leave us a comment in the section below!