You can still enjoy a rich dish with chicken, potatoes and mushrooms with a creamy sauce like this one. Just choose the ingredients well and go for the low fat ones only. Mushrooms for instance are fat-free, low in calories, cholesterol-free, gluten-free, and low in sodium yet they are high in nutrients like potassium, Vitamin D, selenium and a whole lot of other good things. Then you also have the protein from the chicken and the additional potassium from the potatoes. Not only will all the ingredients make a difference, but they will also make you feel better.
Yield: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1-1/2 cups/ 1/6 of recipe | Calories: 334 | Total Fat: 18 g | Saturated Fat: 7 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 79 mg | Sodium: 244 mg | Carbohydrates: 23 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 22 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 10
- 1 pound chicken, any cuts (breasts or thighs/drumsticks or mix)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons low fat butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 14 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 14 ounces potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup low fat cream
- 1-1/2 tablespoons flour
- Rub the chicken with the 1/2 teaspoon salt and some pepper.
- Over medium heat, in a saucepan with extra virgin olive oil, brown both sides of the chicken.
- Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Discard the used oil in the saucepan then add new extra virgin olive oil and the butter.
- Over medium heat, sautè the garlic and onions then add the mushrooms.
- Toss for about 5 minutes then add the Worcestershire sauce. Toss for 3 more minutes.
- Transfer the contents of the saucepan to the slow cooker.
- Add the potatoes, broth, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to the slow cooker. Mix.
- Set the slow cooker on low for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, separate the sauce and transfer it to a small saucepan.
- Over medium heat, mix in the cream and the flour then whisk until slightly creamy.
- Put the sauce back to the dish then serve while it is hot.
Here are more amazing Slow Cooker recipe ideas:
Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss out anything on SkinnyMs.
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.