Mashed potatoes, though creamy and comforting, are also high in carbohydrates and calories. Mashed cauliflower, on the other hand, is creamy and comforting, but low in both carbs and calories. It’s also dense in vitamins and minerals, being an good source of vitamin C and managanese, both of which are antioxidants, and containing vitamin K and omega-3 fatty acids.
This is one of the easiest cauliflower dishes to prepare- all you have to do is chop the cauliflower, boil, and mash! We’ve added in some sautèed garlic in olive oil for extra flavor, but you don’t have to.
What would mashed cauliflower be delicious with? It would make a great side for our New York Strip Steak with Mushroom Gravy and Caramelized Onionsor Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 3/4 cup | Calories: 49 | Total Fat: 4 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 1 mg | Sodium: 306 mg | Carbohydrates: 3 g | Dietary Fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 0 g | Protein: 1 g | SmartPoints: 2 |
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup skim or reduced fat milk, unsweetened nondairy milk, or 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Boil a large pot of salted water. Add cauliflower and cook until very tender, about 10 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a separate saute pan, warm olive oil over medium-low heat, add garlic and saute for about 30 seconds, or until the garlic is golden and fragrant. Remove from the heat.
- Mash with a potato masher in a large bowl. For a smoother mashed cauliflower, use an immersion or hand blender to puree, or puree it in the food processor. While mixing, slowly add n the milk until the desired consistency is achieved. Mix in the salt and pepper and the minced garlic with the olive oil. Serve.
- Mashed cauliflower can be topped with chopped scallions if desired.