You've never tasted a black bean soup this good!
We think you’ll love this amazing Slow Cooker Tangy Black Bean Coconut Soup. The thick tomato and coconut broth will please your taste buds and will help you stay on track with your healthy eating goals. Add some heat if you like, with a pinch of smoky paprika or ground chipotle.
Recommended Slow Cooker Size: 2 quarts
Slow Cooker Tangy Coconut Black Bean Soup
- 1/2 cup black beans dry, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 yellow onion small and diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 15 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup cilantro freshly chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin ground
- 1 cup light coconut milk canned, optional: regular milk, whole or low-fat
- kosher or sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Add dry beans and 2 cups water to a saucepan, cover and soak overnight. Drain and rinse before adding to slow cooker.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil to medium-low and saute onion until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute one additional minute. Add onion and garlic to slow cooker along with black beans, broth, tomato sauce, water, cilantro and cumin, stir.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours. It's done when the beans are tender. Add the remaining ingredients, stir and cook an additional 15 minutes. If preferred, use an immersion blender to make a creamier soup. We prefer the black beans whole.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily eNewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.