Looking for an easy vegetarian enchiladas recipe? These simple slow cooker enchiladas get their authentic flavor from a quick and easy red sauce that comes together quickly and beats anything you’ll find in a can. Filled with a savory mix of onions, black beans, and reduced fat cheese, these healthy enchiladas simmer in your slow cooker, so that you’ll have a delicious meal waiting when you get home from a busy day. Make sure to use high quality chili powder when making the sauce; this is where the delicious flavor comes from. Use a mild chili powder if you don’t like your Mexican food super spicy. If you think there’s no such thing as healthy Mexican recipes, you’ll be amazed at this one.
Yields: servings 12 enchiladas | Serving Size: 3 enchiladas| Calories: 464| Total Fat: 14 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 405 mg | Carbohydrates: 72 g | Dietary Fiber: 15 g | Sugars: 3 g | Protein: 16 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 13
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese, divided in half
- Reduced fat sour cream and fresh chopped cilantro, for serving
- Make the sauce by heating a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and flour and stir until smooth and bubbly. Add the seasonings and stir until well combined. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Make the enchilada filling by heating a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the olive oil, followed by the onions. Cook until the onions are soft, season with salt and pepper, and add the beans. Cook for about 2 minutes and add the cilantro and lime juice. Turn off heat.
- To make the enchiladas, put the corn tortillas on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 1 minute, or until tortillas are soft and pliable.
- Fill each tortilla with about 2 tablespoons of filling and top with a sprinkling of cheese. Roll up and lay in your slow cooker, packing them in tightly so that they stay together. If the tortillas cool, you may need to reheat them.
- Once all of the enchiladas are in the cooker, pour the sauce over top of them, making sure they are well covered. Cover and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours. Before serving, sprinkle remaining cheese on top, cover, and cook on low for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with sour cream and fresh chopped cilantro.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.