An energy-boosting start to your day.
Start your day right with this savory, energy-boosting Smashed Avocado and Poached Egg Sandwich! Mashed avocado and oozy egg yolk form a beautiful blend of protein and healthy fats guaranteed to keep you feeling full and focused. Served on crunchy, whole grain toast and topped with light seasonings, these two superfoods star in a sandwich bursting with health benefits.
Whipping it up is easy. Simply poach an egg and place it on one slice of toast, spread the avocado mixture on another, and voila! The power sandwich packs a bunch of tasty flavors and textures. Just one bite will turn you into a morning person!
Smashed Avocado and Poached Egg Sandwich
- 2 whole-grain bread slices or whole-wheat, small pieces
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice white vinegar or apple cider vinegar for substitute
- 1 egg large or extra large
- 1/2 avocado ripe
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup salad greens of choice or baby spinach (optional)
- Toast bread.
- Poach eggs by bringing 2 inches of water with 1/4 teaspoon salt and lemon juice or vinegar to a simmer over high heat. Do not allow water to boil. If it begins boiling, reduce heat.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl or mug and slide the egg into the water. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes until egg white is solid, but the yolk is still liquid. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on paper towel/napkin to absorb any excess water. Place on toast.
- Meanwhile, smash avocado with olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and black pepper. Use a potato masher or pulse in a food processor or blender until pureed but slightly chunky. Spread onto one side of toast, top with salad greens or spinach if using, and place over egg toast. Enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest for more healthy lifestyle tips and great exercise routines. Subscribe to our newsletter for the latest Skinny Ms. updates delivered straight to your inbox!
Need more sandwich ideas? Let us know! We value your feedback.