Start your day right with this savory, energy-boosting Smashed Avocado and Poached Egg Sandwich! Mashed avocado and oozy egg yolk form a beautiful blend of protein and healthy fats guaranteed to keep you feeling full and focused. Served on crunchy, whole grain toast and topped with light seasonings, these two superfoods star in a sandwich bursting with health benefits.
Whipping it up is easy. Simply poach an egg and place it on one slice of toast, spread the avocado mixture on another, and voila! The power sandwich packs a bunch of tasty flavors and textures. Just one bite will turn you into a morning person!
Yields: 1 serving | Serving Size: 1 sandwich | Calories: 399 | Total Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 208mg | Sodium: 489mg | Carbohydrates: 31g | Fiber: 9g | Sugars: 4g | Protein: 13g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 10 |
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 large or extra-large egg
- 2 small pieces whole grain or whole wheat sliced bread
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar (white or apple cider)
- 1/2 cup salad greens of choice or baby spinach, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Toast bread.
- Poach eggs by bringing 2 inches of water with 1/4 teaspoon salt and lemon juice or vinegar to a simmer over high heat. Do not allow water to boil. If it begins boiling, reduce heat.
- Crack egg into a small bowl or mug and slide egg into water. Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes until egg white is solid, but yolk is still liquid. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on paper towel/napkin to absorb any excess water. Place on toast.
- Meanwhile, smash avocado with olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and black pepper. Use a potato masher or pulse in a food processor or blender until pureed but slightly chunky. Spread onto one side of toast, top with salad greens or spinach if using, and place over egg toast. Enjoy!
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest for more healthy lifestyle tips and great exercise routines. Subscribe to our newsletter for the latest SkinnyMs. updates delivered straight to your inbox!
Need more sandwich ideas? Let us know! We value your feedback.