Succotash, a traditional Southern corn and lima bean dish, can be made year round starting with good quality frozen lima beans. A traditional succotash recipe with a sprinkling of fresh herbs and chopped tomatoes are added to the beans and corn in this version of the vegetable mix.
Lima beans are very rich in B-complex vitamins and the minerals iron, copper, manganese and magnesium, and are an excellent source of folic acid. Succotash is a great way to incorporate the velvety soft, buttery bean into your diet.
You might also like Fava Beans with Garlic and Lemon.
Servings: 6 | Serving Size: 3/4 cup | Calories: 210 | Total Fat: 14 g | Saturated Fats: 6 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 32 mg | Sodium: 367 mg | Carbohydrates: 9 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 14 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 0
- 1-1/2 cups frozen lima beans
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes or halved grape tomatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley or basil (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a small pot, cook lima beans and corn over medium heat with 1/4 cup of water for 5 minutes. Strain out any remaining water and add the lima and corn back to the pot.
- Stir in the olive oil, garlic, and tomatoes and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add the chopped herbs, if using. Add salt and pepper to taste.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.