Southwestern veggies and black beans make a refreshing but satisfying salad.
We all love a nice, leafy green salad, but a refreshing bowl of varied veggies isn’t always centered around spinach, arugula, or kale. Bean salads, veggie salads, and grain salads are becoming all the rage, partly because they offer a melange of flavors that a green salad doesn’t, and partly because the focus of these salads is often on complex, fiber-rich carbohydrates and proteins, which are the types of ingredients that keep us fueled and satisfied throughout our day.
The star of this Southwestern Black Bean Salad is the unassuming black bean, a nutritional powerhouse that deserves to be the centerpiece of more of our lunches and dinners! One cup of black beans contains 15 grams of fiber and 15 grams of protein, a combination you won’t find in most veggies or meats alone. Combine these black beans with antioxidant-rich red peppers, tomatoes, and corn, and you’ve got a bowl brimming with nutrition, but lacking in fat and excess calories. Make a big batch and take some to work with you each day for lunch, and you won’t hear your stomach growling at 5pm.
Plus, the regional flavors of this dish are outstanding. Crunchy corn tastes terrific with sweet, mildly spicy red peppers. A bit of lime juice makes this southwestern dish sing, and guarantees a refreshing flavor, bite after bite. Perfect for lunch, picnics, and as a post-workout snack, this superfood-filled salad needs a permanent spot in your kitchen repertoire.
Southwestern Black Bean Salad
- 30 ounces black beans cans
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels
- 1 red bell pepper stemmed, seeded and diced small
- 1/2 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped or flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional more or less depending on how spicy you would like it
- 2 tablespoons lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine all of the salad ingredients. Whisk the dressing in a small bowl and then add to the salad, tossing to coat. Enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms