Many of us are unwinding at home with family this time of year. The chilly winter air and the comforts of home make us crave warm, soothing winter staples, like tomato soup. But our recipe for Spiced Coconut Tomato Soup with Brown Rice, Almonds, and Paneer is nothing like any tomato soup your family has tasted before. The tangy flavor of tomato, combined with the kick of curry powder and the mellow taste of coconut milk contributes to a unique, exotic dish. And the addition of brown rice, almonds, and paneer, an Indian grilling cheese, make this soup a meal that stands on its own.
The onions and tomatoes comprise the base of this soup, and are simmered in your slow cooker for hours while you spend time with loved ones or run errands throughout your day. Once the cooking time is up, simply add your rice, coconut milk, and cilantro, and grill your paneer for a few minutes before using it as a topping along with your almonds. Can’t find paneer at your local supermarket or Indian grocery? Simply substitute with halloumi, another firm cheese that stands up well to grilling.
This soup is a superfood powerhouse. Tomatoes, rich in antioxidants and lycopene, and coconut milk, loaded with vitamins C, E, and B6, as well as a variety of minerals and antioxidants, make up the majority of your meal. Brown rice adds fiber, and paneer and almonds lend protein, rounding out this dish with everything you need to feel satisfied and nourished this winter.
Be sure to check out these other 73 Best Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup| Calories: 437 | Total Fat: 27 g | Saturated Fat: 13 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 140 mg | Carbohydrates: 43 g | Dietary Fiber: 8 g | Sugars: 11 g | Protein: 12g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 17
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 (28 ounce) or 4 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, fire roasted if available
- 1 (15 ounce) can lite coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 ounces paneer cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon pure butter or coconut oil
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Heat a large skillet over medium-heat. Add the olive oil and onion. Sauté until the onion is translucent, about 4 minutes, and add the spices. Season with salt. Transfer to a slow cooker and add the tomatoes. Cook on low heat for 6 hours.
- For a creamy soup, puree the soup in a blender, or use an emulsion blender, and transfer back to the pot. Otherwise, skip this step. Stir in the coconut milk and cook until soup is reheated. Add the rice and cilantro.
- Before serving, heat a cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and cubes of paneer. Grill the cheese until lightly browned.
- Top the soup with toasted almonds and paneer to serve.
- Stovetop Method: Add sautéed onion with spices to a large pot, cover and simmer for approximately one hour. For a creamy soup, puree in a blender, or use an emulsion blender, and transfer back to the pot. Otherwise, skip this step. Stir in the coconut milk and cook until soup is reheated. Add the rice and cilantro. Follow the remaining ingredients above.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from SkinnyMs.
Be sure to subscribe to our daily enewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.