Nothing says summer like summer salads. Sure, there’s nothing wrong with the classic potato salad at a backyard barbecue. But why not spice things up (literally) with this spicy black bean & shrimp salad recipe? With zesty spices and Cajun and Southwestern inspired ingredients, this spicy shrimp salad is an instant summer classic with a kick.
Fresh and Spicy
This zesty recipe brings the heat, but it also packs plenty of the fresh ingredients you crave in a summer salad. Spices like cumin, chili powder, paprika, and crushed red pepper combine for a bold flavor. Meanwhile, favorite summer ingredients like fresh shrimp and corn make this salad crisp and refreshing. Black beans, cool avocado, zesty lime juice, and fresh cilantro tie the whole thing together with a pop of Southwestern flair.
Of course, a salad isn’t really a salad without lettuce. While this spicy shrimp salad is loaded with tasty ingredients, bold flavors, and fun textures, it wouldn’t be complete without crunchy shredded romaine and chopped kale. This salad really has it all. Whether you serve it as a meal, a side, or with tortilla chips as a dip, it’s the perfect combination of spicy and refreshing flavors and ingredients.
Prep and Serve Tips
Definitely go with raw shrimp rather than pre-cooked for this spicy black bean & shrimp salad recipe. Raw shrimp will better absorb the seasoning for a bold flavor, which is what this recipe is all about. Fortunately, shrimp cooks quickly. After just 5-6 minutes in a hot skillet, your shrimp should be pink, firm, and cooked to perfection.
This salad is great served hot, so you can serve it immediately after cooking. However, it’s also delicious chilled. Whether you prefer to cook a few hours in advance and let it chill before serving, or you’re hungry for leftovers the next day, this tasty and flavorful salad is just as zesty served cold. Either way, this spicy shrimp salad definitely brings the heat!
Enjoy this delicious salad as a meal, a side, an app, or even wrap up leftovers in a tortilla for a one of a kind shrimp taco. However you choose to enjoy the bold flavors of this refreshing summer salad, it’s bound to spice things up.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 2 cups | Calories: 357 | Total Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 483mg | Carbohydrates: 36g | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 4g | Protein: 22g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5
- 1/2 pound large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced small
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups kale, shredded or finely chopped
- 2 cup romaine lettuce, shredded or finely chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 avocado, peeled and pit removed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a small bowl, combine the shrimp, red pepper, chili powder, paprika, cumin, and salt. Toss well to coat the shrimp in the seasonings.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet. Once hot, add the seasoned shrimp. Cook, about 5 to 6 minutes, until pink and firm. Remove the shrimp from the skillet and keep hot.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the pan the shrimp was just cooked in. Heat on high heat and once hot add the corn and onion. Cook, about 5 minutes, until the corn begins to char and the onions are soft. Stir in the lime juice, black beans, and cooked shrimp. Cook just until the beans are hot.
- In a large salad bowl, toss together the kale and romaine. Top with the shrimp mixture, tomato, and avocado. Sprinkle the cilantro on top and serve.