Add some spice to your stew!
Here’s a new twist on a healthier stew that we think you’ll love. Turmeric gives this potato and chickpea stew its bright yellow color, and a spicy curry powder gives it rich, aromatic flavor. Simple ingredients comprise this slow cooker recipe, which cooks while you’re out and about. You’ll come home to a delicious meal that also makes excellent leftovers. Serve it with whole wheat bread to soak up the delicious sauce, or a small green salad for a truly healthy meal. The next time you’re sifting through recipes looking for healthy stews, try this one. You won’t be disappointed!
Spicy Potato and Chickpea Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon curry powder preferably hot
- 30 ounces diced tomatoes cans, with juices
- 2 potatoes large, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups vegetable broth homemade
- 30 ounces chickpeas cans, rinsed and drained
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper freshly ground
- cilantro fresh chopped, for garnish
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and the onions. Cook until the onions are soft. Add the garlic and spices and cook for another minute until very fragrant.
- Transfer this mixture to your slow cooker and add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and cook over low heat until potatoes are tender and slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with the chopped cilantro.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? Tell us about it in the comments below.