This super food burger is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. We love this delicious vegetarian burger with a touch of barbecue sauce, romaine lettuce, Creamy Avocado Spread, salsa and a slice of reduced fat cheddar cheese. This makes for one big burger with big health benefits to match. Healthy burgers are a great alternative to the traditional recipes because they satisfy cravings while still keeping you healthy.
Living a healthy lifestyle and choosing foods that are good for you does not have to mean sacrifice. It is possible to feed your body healthy food and still enjoy the taste of what you are eating! Burgers are a great example. They might seem like a cheat food or something you want to avoid all together if you are cleaning up your diet, but the truth is there are healthy burger recipes out there that actually are good for you.
Are you looking for other ways to put a healthy spin on classic dishes? We have plenty of options. Whether you love ethnic recipes that are packed with flavor or you prefer traditional American fare that is hearty and delicious, we liven up your kitchen with healthy alternatives. Want to try a few of our favorites? Give our healthy pasta a whirl, try our chicken enchiladas, or whip up good old fashioned meat loaf.
Yields: 5 | Serving size: 1 burger | Calories: 422 | Total Fat: 10 g | Saturated Fats: 1 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 2 mg | Sodium: 333 mg | Carbohydrates: 65 g | Dietary fiber: 16 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 19 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 12
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup diced red onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed, drained again
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chili peppers, hot or mild, drained well (blot with a paper towel to remove excess liquid)
- ½ cup whole kernel corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup whole wheat Panko bread crumbs, optional whole wheat bread crumbs
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese, reduced fat
- 5 whole grain buns or rolls
- In a large skillet add 1 tablespoon oil, turn to medium-low heat and sauté onions until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute one additional minute. Add kidney beans, green chili peppers and corn, continue to sauté until beans soften up, about 3 minutes. Add oregano, chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper, stir to combine.
- Combine in a large mixing bowl bean mixture, cheese and bread crumbs.
- Mash all ingredients with a potato masher or fork until beans are well mashed. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Make 5 burger shaped patties. Note: Patties can be cooked right away or covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
- Add remaining tablespoon oil to a non-stick large skillet, turn to medium heat and cook until patties are browned on both sides and heated through, approximately 12 minutes total.
- Serve patties on your favorite bun or roll. Try your favorite condiments...we added the following: Avocado Dip (Spread), romaine lettuce, tomato, salsa, 2% cheddar cheese slice and barbecue sauce, with no sugar added.
- For more yummy vegetarian recipes, check out The New Quinoa eBook ~ A Healthy Alternative to Traditional Recipes
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.