A SkinnyMs. favorite, this light recipe for Slow Cooker Enchiladas is packed with flavor. You would never guess that this deliciously filling meal has less than 250 calories and only 6 grams of fat per serving. Slow Cooker Enchiladas go perfectly with Skinny Mexican Rice.
To make it easier and better, bake the chicken breasts ahead of time and stick them in the fridge until you are ready to put the enchiladas together. Also, it is easier to shred the chicken with your fingers (clean fingers, of course) than with a fork. And, when adding the seasonings in the enchilada mixture, go easy on the cumin. One teaspoon is not a lot but cumin packs a powerful punch and its strong flavor is hard to diminish once added.
As an alternative to the slow cooker, bake the enchiladas at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes or until bubbly. Just make sure to spread a thin layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom of the pan before adding the enchiladas.
Slow Cooker Enchiladas is one of our top rated recipes and pairs perfectly with Skinny Mexican Rice.
Everyone who eats our Slow Cooker Enchiladas the first time makes them again and again. This recipe is definitely a keeper.
Click here for the Top 10 Slow Cooker Recipes on SkinnyMs.
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving our newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email, signup here: eNewsletter Signup.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving size: 1 enchilada | Calories: 294 | Total Fat: 13 g | Saturated Fats: 6 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 45 mg | Sodium: 422 mg | Carbohydrates: 29 g | Dietary fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 3 g | Protein: 16 g | SmartPoints: 9 |
- 2 half chicken breasts on the bone with skin (remove skin before adding to enchiladas)
- 1 (16 ounce) jar red enchilada sauce (no sugar added)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chile peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, reduced fat
- 1 (8 oz.) container sour cream, fat free
- 6 medium whole wheat tortillas, low sodium if possible (corn tortillas are not recommended as they tend to fall apart)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken breast on the bone, with skin, in a covered baking dish. Bake until juices run clear when pierced with a fork, after about 45 minutes. Chicken should have reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Allow to cool. Remove skin and bones, discard. Shred chicken or cut into bite-sized cubes.
- In a medium mixing bowl add chicken, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, and salt to taste. Add to seasoned chicken: green chile peppers, 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce, 1/2 cup sour cream, and 1 cup cheese. Mix well. Place 1/2 cup chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla. Leave about 2" in the bottom without filling and fold up. Continue until all tortillas are filled.
- Lightly spray the bottom and the sides of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Lay enchiladas seam side down in the slow cooker, add a little of the sauce above each layer as you stack them. There should be 2 layers of 3 or 3 layers of 2, depending on the size of your slow cooker.
- Combine the remaining enchilada sauce and 1/2 cup sour cream. Pour over the enchiladas. Cover and cook on low 3 to 4 hours, or until hot and bubbly. Cut between each enchilada, and carefully remove them, one at a time, with a large spatula. Pour liquid from slow cooker over enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Garnish with diced tomatoes and shredded lettuce.