Croutons and cheese crumbles crank up the flavor in this veggie dish!
We know what you’re thinking. Spinach? Roasted Vegetables? This salad sounds like a great side dish. Not true! With the addition of cornbread croutons and crumbles of cheese, our Spinach and Roasted Vegetable Salad with Cornbread Croutons and Maple Vinaigrette instantly becomes a comforting and satisfying meal, all on its own. At the heart of this salad are delicious veggies that are packed with nutrients and low in fat and calories. This recipe makes the perfect meal at a time of year when we’re all renewing our commitment to clean, healthy eating!
While there are a few stages in the preparation of this salad, after you make it once, you’ll realize just how simple it is to put together. You’ll roast your veggies before baking your cornbread into croutons, and while each of those are in the oven, you’ll simply mix up your dressing. This salad’s calorie count makes it a substantive but responsible meal. And because this recipe is packed with superfoods, those calories certainly don’t go to waste. Brussels sprouts are loaded with vitamins A, C, and K, and contain a healthy amount of fiber. Butternut squash provides beta-carotene and omega-3 fatty acids, and has anti-inflammatory properties. And spinach is rich in flavonoids, which fight disease and signs of aging.
Spinach and Roasted Vegetable Salad with Cornbread Croutons and Maple Vinaigrette
- 1 butternut squash peeled and diced
- 1 pound brussels sprouts stems removed, quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 slices cornbread preferably homemade, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons thyme fresh chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- pinch of salt
- 1 orange zested
- 8 cups baby spinach leaves
- 4 ounces goat cheese crumbles or blue cheese crumbles
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss the vegetables with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and spread on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Roast for 20 minutes, or until veggies are soft and lightly browned.
- Toss the cornbread cubes with the olive oil and thyme, lay on a separate sheet pan and bake for 10-15 minutes, until lightly browned and crisp.
- While the croutons and vegetables are baking, combine the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake until well combined.
- To prepare the salad, toss the spinach, vegetables, croutons, and cheese with the dressing. Divide between 4 plates and serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.