We know what you’re thinking. Spinach? Roasted Vegetables? This salad sounds like a great side dish. Not true! With the addition of cornbread croutons and crumbles of cheese, our Spinach and Roasted Vegetable Salad with Cornbread Croutons and Maple Vinaigrette instantly becomes a comforting and satisfying meal, all on its own. At the heart of this salad are delicious veggies that are packed with nutrients and low in fat and calories. This recipe makes the perfect meal at a time of year when we’re all renewing our commitment to clean, healthy eating!
While there are a few stages in the preparation of this salad, after you make it once, you’ll realize just how simple it is to put together. You’ll roast your veggies before baking your cornbread into croutons, and while each of those are in the oven, you’ll simply mix up your dressing. This salad’s calorie count makes it a substantive but responsible meal. And because this recipe is packed with superfoods, those calories certainly don’t go to waste. Brussels sprouts are loaded with vitamins A, C, and K, and contain a healthy amount of fiber. Butternut squash provides beta-carotene and omega-3 fatty acids, and has anti-inflammatory properties. And spinach is rich in flavonoids, which fight disease and signs of aging.
Yields: servings | Serving Size: 3 cups salad |Calories: 463| Total Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 8 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 48 g | Sodium: 664 mg | Carbohydrates: 36 g | Dietary Fiber: 7 g | Sugars: 9 g | Protein: 13 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 16
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 pound Brussels Sprouts, stems removed, quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 slices cornbread, preferably homemade, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped thyme
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt
- Zest of 1 orange
- 8 cups baby spinach leaves
- 4 ounces goat or blue cheese crumbles
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss the vegetables with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and spread on parchment lined sheet pan. Roast for 20 minutes, or until veggies are soft and lightly browned.
- Toss the cornbread cubes with the olive oil and thyme, lay on a separate sheet pan and bake for 10-15 minutes, until lightly browned and crisp.
- While the croutons and vegetables are baking, combine the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake until well combined.
- To prepare the salad, toss the spinach, vegetables, croutons, and cheese with the dressing. Divide between 4 plates and serve.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from SkinnyMs.
Be sure to subscribe to our daily eNewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.