Do you wake up in the morning already dreaming about going back to sleep? Is it difficult to focus throughout the day? If so, start your day with this morning yoga routine that will make you feel amazing.
There are numerous benefits to stretching it out before your day begins. Morning yoga clears your mind and relaxes your body. It will also help you maintain a healthy lifestyle by boosting your mood and your immune system. When we start the day out right, we tend to make healthier choices. This simple yoga routine will make you feel incredible. Read more about how Yoga Affects Your Mental and Physical Health.
What You Need: Towel or Yoga Mat.
What to do: Hold each pose for 10 to 30 seconds. Repeat for 3 to 5 rounds. This routine can take as little as 5 minutes or as long as 25 minutes, depending on how much time you give yourself in the morning. The benefits of performing a morning yoga routine are totally worth the time it takes. We’ve included instructional videos for each pose at the bottom of this post. Remember to breathe deeply!
1. Mountain Pose (Tadasana)
- Mountain pose improves posture, balance and focus.
2. Yogi Squat (Malasana)
- The Yogi Squat stretches and strengthens your legs, improves ankle mobility and promotes a feeling of calm.
3. Downward Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
- Downward Dog gives a total body stretch. It opens up your chest, shoulders & hips and elongates your spine, hamstrings & calves. The Downward Dog also strengthens your core, quadriceps and arms.
4. Cobra (Bhujangasana)
- The Cobra pose stretches out your neck, back and abdomen. This pose has also been proven to alleviate stress and discomfort.
5. Child’s Pose (Balasana)
- Child’s Pose stretches your entire posterior chain (neck, back, hips and thighs). This pose is also a stress reliever and helps to reduce fatigue. It’s a great morning stretch.
6. Warrior 1 (Virabhadrasana)
- The Warrior 1 pose stretches and strengthens your core, low back, glutes and thighs. It also opens up the neck, chest, shoulders and hips. This pose has been shown to relieve sciatic pain and numbness associated with sciatica.
7. Warrior 2 (Virabhadrasana II)
- Warrior 2 strengthens the glutes, thighs & calves and stretches the ankles, chest & shoulders. It opens the hips even more so than the Warrior 1. This pose also alleviates sciatic pain but also improves symptoms of osteoporosis, relieves back pain in pregnant women and even aids in digestion by stimulating the abdominal organs.
8. Pigeon (Eka Pada Rajakapotasana)
- The Pigeon pose is one of my all time favorites! This is a great choice for those of you that sit for extended periods of time. The Pigeon stretches out your hip flexors and your hip rotators along with reducing stress. Your pelvis is the main hub for daily movements. Stretching consistently will allow you to move more freely. Keep in mind that this pose requires you to stretch one side at a time.
9. Happy Baby (Ananda Balasana)
- I absolutely had to include this one in this routine. It’s a great finisher. You’ll feel totally relaxed coming out of this pose and as happy as a baby (the name is extremely fitting). The Happy Baby pose stretches out the hips, groin and hamstrings as well as the shoulders and chest. It also provides a great stretch for your back. I LOVE it. You will too!
Start your day with this morning yoga routine that will make you feel amazing!
Did you try it out? What do you think? How do you feel? Let us know in the comments below! Practicing Yoga in the morning will help you feel more relaxed and focused to take on whatever challenges the day throws at you.
If you enjoyed this routine, try these Top 5 Life-Changing Yoga Routines.