Summer always feels like the start of something new, doesn’t it? Instinctively, we get the urge to want to eat better and improve our lives, but finding fresh and healthy meals that we’ll return to again and again can be difficult. Luckily, we’re here to help solve that pesky issue! When you toss fresh, seasonal veggies with a scrumptious buttermilk dressing made with Greek yogurt and fresh herbs, you end up with a Summer salad that will soon turn into a lunchtime staple.
Making the Perfect, Creamy Dressing
The issue with buying pre-made dressings at the grocery store, is that all too often they come with strange ingredients we’re not expecting. Additionally, packaged dressing usually contains added sugar, sodium, fat, and more, that adds to the calorie count.
For this reason, we decided to make a creamy, buttermilk dressing from scratch. This recipe will add so much flavor to your salad, but don’t worry, it’s super duper simple to prepare. Simply combine the ingredients for the dressing in a sealable jar. Make sure that the cap is on tight and shake it until the contents are combined. Before the dressing is ready, you’ll need to season it with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. You can store this dressing in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it but keep in mind that it will only last for about 3 days.
A Fresh and Filling Summertime Meal
When we tell you that this Summer salad is loaded with veggies, we’re not joking around! In this recipe, you’ll find lettuce, radishes, carrots, peas, asparagus, and sprouts! Thanks to the abundance of vegetables, each serving of this salad contains 30 grams of energy-providing carbohydrates, and 7 grams of belly-filling fiber.
As if the delightful flavors and textures weren’t enough to make you want to try this salad, the ease of preparation definitely will. Just throw all of your veggies in a bowl, top with your homemade dressing, mix, and enjoy!
Add Protein for a More Hearty Meal
While this salad is, well, vegetarian-friendly, you always have the option to add extra protein in the form of grilled fish, chicken, shrimp or more! Protein is an essential part of a healthy diet, as it is responsible for fat loss, muscle retention, and so much more!
Summer Salad with Clean Eating Buttermilk Dressing
- 1/2 shallot minced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves fresh
- 2 tablespoons parsley fresh, chopped
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 6 ounces Greek yogurt container, plain
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper freshly ground, to taste
- 2 heads Boston lettuce or bibb lettuce
- 2 radishes thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots grated
- 1/2 cup peas fresh or frozen
- 6 asparagus stalks thin, chopped
- sprouts for garnish
- Combine the ingredients for the dressing in a jar or container with a lid. Shake until well combined. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper (be generous with the pepper!) Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve; it will last about 3 days.
- When ready to serve, toss the salad ingredients in a large bowl and top with the dressing. Garnish with the sprouts.
What do you think of this easy salad recipe? Are you going to add it to your list of meals to try this summer? If so, be sure to let us know what you think of it in the comment section!
If this salad strikes your fancy, you may also want to try these delicious and healthy options:
- Summer Fruit Quinoa Salad Summer Fruit Quinoa Salad
- Moroccan Chicken Salad with Chimichurri Dressing
- Spicy Kale Salad with Chickpeas & Maple Dijon Dressing
- Roasted Sweet Potato and Mango Salad