Looking to live a clean lifestyle and drop a few pounds in the process? Quinoa recipes are a fantastic tool to have in your box, with their great taste and versatility. This Sweet Potato Quinoa takes one of our favorite ingredients and adds sweet potatoes, making this a protein rich superfood dish.
*This recipe comes to us courtesy of Dana White. Dana is a registered dietician, certified athletic trainer, and a nutrition and fitness consultant. Dana works closely with chefs and authors to develop creative and healthy recipes for cookbooks, magazines and menus. She is the nutrition expert for Food Network.com and founding contributor for Food Network’s Healthy Eats blog. She has worked as nutrition consultant for Follow Productions on seasons 2 and 3 of Bobby Deen’s show Not My Mama’s Meals. She has worked as a media spokesperson for Cooking Light Magazine and has made appearances on Good Day Street Talk, Food Network.com, Access Hollywood and GMA Health. In October 2013, Dana was named to Sharecare’s list of Top 10 Social HealthMakers on Nutrition. Learn more about Dana at Dana White Nutrition.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 367 | Total Fat: 12 g | Saturated Fat: 3 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 11 mg | Sodium: 873 mg | Carbohydrates: 53 g | Dietary Fiber: 12 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 14 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups roasted sweet potato fries, diced (recipe follows)
- 1 can (15 oz) organic black beans, no added salt (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste
- ½ cup crumbled low fat feta cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse and drain quinoa well.
- In a saucepan, combine quinoa, water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Once quinoa is cooked, transfer to a large bowl, stir in 1 tbsp of olive oil and set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, combine sweet potato, black beans, corn, bell pepper, scallion and parsley. Toss to combine.
- Combine sweet potato mixture with quinoa. Add remaining oil, lemon juice, and feta. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss and serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Sweet Potato Fries:
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Cut 2 medium sweet potatoes into ½ inch thick fries .
- Lay on a sheet pan . Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper . Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.