This recipe is a surefire hit at your next dinner party!
This Texan version of the extravagant hors d’oeurve makes a brilliant appetizer that won’t break your bank! Typical Texas caviar consists of a black-eyed pea salad dressed in vinaigrette. Our recipe kicks it up a couple notches with a spectrum of crunchy, juicy veggies that pack a flavor punch.
Nutrient-rich whole foods like avocado, red onions, bell peppers, corn kernels and jalapenos are sliced, diced, and whisked together in a delectable mixture of olive oil, lime juice, and savory spices. Pair the colorful dish with some baked tortilla chips, and you’ve got a surefire hit at your next dinner party!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice freshly squeezed (about 1 lime)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper or cayenne (for spicier flavor)
- 15 ounces black beans can, rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado pitted, peeled, and diced
- 1 tomato diced
- 3/4 cup corn kernels completely thawed if frozen or from boiled and cooled corn cobs
- 1/2 cup red onions diced
- 1 red bell pepper stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 1 to 2 jalapeños optional, more or less depending on spiciness desired, stemmed, seeded, and chopped finely
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves finely chopped
- Whisk oil, lime, salt, paprika, and pepper together.
- Toss all of the other ingredients with the dressing.
- Serve as a dip for baked tortilla chips or as a small salad.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Hungry for more SkinnyMs. twists on comfort food classics? Like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and subscribe to our newsletter for the latest updates.
We need your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site.