Enjoy a spicy and sweet Asian-inspired soup.
The sweet, exotic flavor of this soup will make you want to sip it until the last drop is gone from your mug or bowl! With coconut milk and vegetable broth as its base, this soup recipe eases digestion and feels light and refreshing, even as it warms and comforts. Asian-inspired soup recipes are a fun twist on the same old chicken noodle and vegetable soups we’ve been eating since childhood. And for a soup that detoxifies even as it pleases the palate, a dose of cumin and the addition of ginger and lemon are perfect, due to their health benefits and detoxifying effects.
Sweet potatoes have a high nutritional value, as they are complex carbohydrates, which are high in fiber and low on the glycemic index. Plus, they contain high amounts of beta-carotene, an antioxidant which is important for the health of our eyes and skin. If you choose sweet potatoes with darker orange flesh, then you’re getting an extra dose of beta carotene. And the health benefits of this soup don’t end there. Lemon is full of fiber and antioxidants, and is rich in vitamin C, a well-known immune booster. Ginger is packed with antioxidants, and has been used medicinally for centuries to aid in digestion and ease inflammation in the body.
Enjoy this soup on its own, or add a bit of brown rice. You may even want to add a vegetable side such as bok choy or broccoli to amp up the health quotient. And it’s perfect as an appetizer at any dinner party. Your guests won’t believe how simple it is to prepare.
Thai Roasted Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 pound sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 onion medium, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 inch ginger root peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup coconut milk canned
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water to water it down
- Preheat the oven to 395 degrees F.
- On a baking pan, place the sweet potatoes, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Over medium heat, in a medium saucepan with extra virgin olive oil, sautè the onions then add the sweet potatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the curry, cumin and ginger then toss together for 1 minute.
- Pour the vegetable broth and lemon juice then let it boil. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and cook for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until creamy. Adjust the consistency that you prefer with the water. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil before serving.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
More amazing soup recipes to choose from: