Got your D? Vitamin D, that is. This nutrient is a must-have for calcium absorption, which is especially important as we age and our bones become more vulnerable to osteoporosis. Recent research also suggests that low vitamin D levels may make it harder to lose weight. Need to know the top 7 vitamin D rich foods good for optimal health?
Here’s a List of Vitamin D Rich Foods:
1. Salmon- When you want vitamin D rich meals, cold-water fish like salmon is a smart choice. Cooked salmon has about 112% of the recommended daily value for adults. Get your vitamin D with Honey-Dijon Glazed Salmon with a Hint of Lemon.
2. Tuna– Canned tuna, packed in water, is a convenient and healthy source of vitamin D, delivering about 40% of what you need in just 3 ounces. Plus, it has a long shelf life so you can save money by buying in bulk. Enjoy it in a light tuna salad sandwich, or mix 2 tablespoons of drained tuna with 1 teaspoon of Greek yogurt for dipping.
3. Yogurt– This breakfast and snack food staple is one of the good-for-you vitamin d food sources. A fortified yogurt typically offers about 20% of what the body needs, but some brands may deliver higher vitamin D levels. Enjoy plain, low- or nonfat Greek yogurt, or get your D vitamin in Curry Greek-Style Yogurt Dip.
4. Fortified Tofu– Made from soy beans, this versatile food can be used in everything from stir-fry to pasta dishes. Give tofu a go in this Blueberry Banana Smoothie—it’s a tasty way to build strong bones.
5. Fortified Milk– Milk does do the body good when it comes to vitamin D. Many cow milk products have vitamin D added, and you can expect to get about 30% of your daily value from a 1 cup serving. Remember to reach for low-fat or skim milk.
6. Egg Yolks– Get vitamin D from egg yolks—not the whites. One egg has about 10% of the daily recommended value, so be sure to eat other vitamin D food sources throughout the day. Hard boil eggs for a convenient breakfast or a post-workout snack, or begin the day with this yummy Pita Pocket Breakfast Sandwich, which features whole eggs and additional egg whites.
7. Some Mushrooms– Portobello mushrooms grown under UV light contain the D vitamin. That means they can be used to make recipes enriched with vitamin D. Other mushrooms, like white button and shitake, have the vitamin in lower amounts. Try our Quinoa Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms.
These top 7 vitamin D rich foods good for optimal health will help you stay strong—so add them to your healthy eating plan today.
For delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.