Many people will tell you that soup is one of those things that takes all day to make. I’ve definitely made some soups that required that amount of time and effort to bring all the flavors together! Those soups are great, but there’s something fun about a quick-and-easy soup, like this Two Serving Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. It coaxes out a surprising amount of flavor from a simple list of ingredients in a relatively short amount of time. And, since it’s made in the slow cooker, it’s all hands-off cooking time, too!
This soup is so delicious, you might wish you had leftovers. That’s the beauty of our two-serving recipe, though: It’s designed to work in your 2- or 3-quart slow cooker. It makes the perfect amount of soup for two–or, enough for dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow. It’s chock full of lean-protein from the chicken, fresh vegetables, and fiber-rich black beans. We also designed it with minimal prep in mind by using one of our favorite shortcuts. When you add salsa to the mix, it adds a ton of flavor without having to chop too many vegetables.
Who Needs Tomatoes When You Have Salsa?
We took a fun shortcut in this budget-friendly Two Serving Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. Instead of chopping a bunch of onions, tomatoes, and herbs, we swapped in a cup of our favorite low-sugar salsa. You could make your own salsa if you like, but we’ve found a number of healthy salsas at the grocery store. They’re typically inexpensive and all you need to do is peek at the ingredients list. You’ll want to check the sugar and sodium, as well as making sure there aren’t any additives.
If you like your soup spicier, opt for a spicy salsa. And, if you prefer things on the mild side, look for one that doesn’t have too many hot peppers. You can steal our technique for other fiesta-inspired recipes–we won’t mind! Many recipes that call for a can of diced tomatoes qualify for this time-saving swap. Give it a try and let us know what you think in the comments!
Yield: about 3 cups | Serving Size: about 1 1/2 cups | Calories: 428 | Total Fat: 4 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Carbohydrates: 56 g | Fiber: 19 g | Sugar: 8 g | Protein: 44 g | Cholesterol: 83 mg | Sodium: 1,585 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 2
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 chicken breast (about 6-8 ounces), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 white corn tortillas, cut in half and into 1/4-inch wide strips
- Greek yogurt, chopped avocado, and low-fat shredded cheese, for garnish (optional)
- In a 2- or 3-quart slow cooker, combine the first six ingredients. Cook on low for 7- to 8-hours, until the carrots are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
- Before you’re ready to serve, add the corn tortilla strips to the slow cooker. Cook for an additional 20 or 25 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt, a quarter of an avocado, some low-fat shredded cheese for garnish, if desired.