A cassoulet is a French dish that is very complicated to prepare and is usually very meat-heavy. Traditionally it is a dish filled with fatty meats, white beans, and vegetables topped with savory bread crumbs and cheese. This version is not nearly as complicated, and it is a healthy cassoulet that is full of veggies. It’s a slow cooker recipe unlike any other. So, if you’re looking for a vegetarian white bean cassoulet recipe that is satisfying, rich, and filling, this one is sure to be a hit.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup|Calories: 432| Total Fat: 10 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 171 mg | Carbohydrates: 67 g | Dietary Fiber: 21 g | Sugars: 9 g | Protein: 20 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 leeks, white parts, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 15 ounce cans white beans of your choice, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup good quality coarse bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil, leeks and celery. Cook until soft. Add the carrots and cook until lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the mixture to the slow cooker, followed by the rest of the cassoulet ingredients. Cook on low heat for 4-6 hours, until vegetables are tender. Lightly mash some of the beans to thicken the cassoulet.
- Make the breadcrumbs by combining the breadcrumbs with the olive oil and garlic. Lay in an even layer on a baking sheet and lightly toast in a 350 degree oven, about 10 minutes. Allow to cool and combine with the parsley and lemon zest.
- To serve, spoon the cassoulet into individual ramekins and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Alternatively, sprinkle breadcrumbs directly on the cassoulet in the slow cooker and serve from there.
You might also like…