Nothing's better than vegetarian comfort food!
Finally…a comfort food that vegetarians and low-fat dieters can enjoy, too! Our Mexican Style Vegetarian Loaf is made with satisfying and savory “meat” loaf and includes a variety of high-fiber, high-protein beans and spicy seasonings.
This Mexican style vegetarian loaf includes corn and green chilies, along with cumin, chili powder and cayenne pepper, which means you get a healthy meal with all the great taste of Mexican cooking! With a coating of barbecue sauce, this loaf is sure to be a family favorite. The recipe is guilt-free, checking in at under 300 calories. It also contains 14 grams of fiber and a whopping 19 grams of protein. Dive into this loaf for dinner and make a sandwich with the leftovers!
Some vegetarian loaf recipes are just as unhealthy as traditional beef meat loaves. They are packed with processed ingredients and might be high in sodium. Whatever you miss in saturated fat, you make up for with other unhealthy ingredients. Luckily, when you make your vegetarian loaf from scratch and use our fresh, whole ingredients, you get a meat-free loaf that is packed with nutrition. It makes vegetarian eating truly healthier than the alternative.
If you love the taste of Mexican flavor and you want to try your hand at meat-free eating, give this a shot. We also have a number of other great vegetarian options on our site, so add this one and all the others to your monthly menu.
Mexican Style Vegetarian Loaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 15 ounce kidney beans can drained well
- 15 ounce black beans can drained well
- 4 ounce diced green chili peppers can hot or mild -drained
- 1 cup whole kernel corn unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- sea or kosher salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 cups panko bread crumbs gluten free or bread crumbs of your choice
- 1/2 cup 2% cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce no sugar added -look for one that has honey or molasses ...check out our recipe for barbecue sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet add oil, turn to medium-low heat and sauté onions until tender, about 4 minutes. Add kidney beans, black beans, green chili peppers and corn, continue to sauté until beans soften up, about 3 minutes. Add oregano, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, salt and cayenne pepper, stir to combine.
- Combine in a large mixing bowl bean mixture, bread crumbs and cheese. Lightly spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray, add bean mixture, shape into a loaf. Bake for 30 minutes, add barbecue sauce and bake 1 additional minute. Remove from oven and allow to set for 5 minutes. Cut into 8 slices and carefully remove each slice with a spatula.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily eNewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.