Fresh and earthy salad with warm chicken and a creamy, tangy dressing.
Whether or not I’m actively watching my weight, I love salad. It’s always a go-to order at any restaurant and the perfect on-the-go lunch. No matter how delicious they are though, there’s something about traditional cold salads that always feel a little like “diet food.” This warm chicken salad over arugula with creamy dill dressing feels a little more like a full sit down meal.
Salad With Purpose
Let’s face it, even the best salads have the tendency to turn into dumping grounds where you just toss any leftover ingredients. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing! Improv salads can be a great and healthy way to use up leftovers.
This warm chicken salad, however, is salad with purpose. Instead of just tossing in whatever raw veggies you have in your fridge, this warm recipe uses real, cooked ingredients that you prepare specifically for this meal. This isn’t the kind of salad you just throw together with leftovers. It’s the kind of meal that becomes tomorrow’s leftovers.
This warm chicken salad over arugula with creamy dill dressing features carefully picked fresh ingredients designed to create a fresh, earthy flavor. Skillet seared asparagus and cherry tomatoes pair with tender, tangy arugula. Meanwhile, simple salt and pepper seasoned chicken adds protein and makes this meal warm and filling. Finally, a creamy, tangy Greek yogurt dill dressing brings all the flavors together for one delicious, elegant salad.
Lettuce Talk About Arugula
I used to be really vanilla when it came to lettuce. And by vanilla, I mean romaine. Essentially, I was only interested in plain, crispy lettuce. No spring mix for me. Of course, I was missing out on major flavor and major nutrition.
Arugula leaves are actually part of the cruciferous vegetable family, and they provide a lot of the same health benefits as veggies like broccoli and Brussels sprouts, including:
- High levels of vitamin K, which can help improve bone health
- Vitamins A and C
- Decreased risk of cancer associated with other cruciferous vegetables like superfood kale
Arugula also adds a lot of flavor to a salad, more so than even spinach or kale. It has a tangy, slightly bitter taste that can really dress up a salad.
And what better to complement that tangy flavor than a delicious, creamy dill dressing. This flavorful Greek yogurt dressing is by far my favorite part of this salad. Made with lemon juice, red wine vinegar, dijon and whole-grain mustards, and dry dill, this creamy dressing is a bold combination of zesty flavors. First use this dressing to coat the chicken, then drizzle extra over the rest of the salad.
This warm chicken salad over arugula with creamy dill dressing is a delicious and flavorful salad recipe that really makes salad feel like a meal, not a side dish.
Warm Chicken Salad Over Arugula with Creamy Dill Dressing
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 to 12 ounces boneless and skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup asparagus fresh, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes cut in half
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon dry dill
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 4 cups baby arugula
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Once hot, add the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is about half cooked. Add the asparagus and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and increase to high heat. Cook until chicken is cooked through and tomatoes are blistered, about 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the yogurt, dill, lemon juice, vinegar, and both mustards. Mix well and set aside.
- Divide arugula into serving bowls. Add about 3 tablespoons of the yogurt dressing to the warm chick and mix well to coat the chicken in the dressing. Spoon over the arugula. Drizzle with additional dressing if desired.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
More Salad Recipes:
Another super healthy cruciferous veggie salad! This recipe has a sweet and tangy citrus flavor, and is studded with apples, blue cheese, and crumbled turkey bacon. With a delicious balsamic, Dijon, and maple syrup dressing, this salad is great as a meal or a side dish.
A salad recipe that makes the most of flavorful leafy greens. This Tuscan salad features hard boiled eggs and salmon topped with a zesty citrus dressing.