“I had no idea I liked Brussels sprouts until I had them prepared right.” This is something I always hear people say about Brussels sprouts. But trust me, this Citrus Brussels Sprout and Pecan Salad is definitely Brussels sprouts prepared right.
The real secret to preparing Brussels sprouts right? Cutting them into quarters! Yep, it has much less to do with flavors or cooking method and everything to do with the slice. Quartering the Brussels sprouts allows them to better absorb other flavors while cooking. By quartering the sprouts, you avoid that “bitter” taste people often complain of.
For these sprouts, the flavor is a delicious sweet and tangy citrus. Dressed up with cranberries, this salad makes a great holiday recipe, but is just as good all year round. Serve it as a side at holidays, dinner parties, or even just your weeknight dinner.
Along with the citrus and cranberries, this recipe also includes apple, pecans, blue cheese, and turkey bacon. With such a wide variety of ingredients, this recipe is the perfect combination of sweet and savory.
Finally, this recipe tops it all off with a delicious savory-sweet dressing. Made with olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, and dijon, this dressing finishes the salad off with a unique flavor combo.
To make this delicious side, combine the Brussels sprouts, cranberries, apple, pecans, blue cheese, and cooked and crumbled turkey bacon. Once mixed, set aside and prepare the dressing.
To make the sweet and tangy dressing, just combine the olive oil, vinegar, syrup, and mustard in a blender. Blend until well mixed and of desired consistency. Drizzle the finished dressing over the Brussels sprout salad and toss until well coated.
Make sure you let this salad sit for at least ten minutes to give the Brussels sprouts a chance to absorb the dressing and the flavors from the other ingredients. Honestly, the longer this recipe has to sit, the better. It’s one of those recipes that actually tastes better as leftovers!
Be sure to also refrigerate this dish before serving. With its elegant citrus flavor, this Citrus Brussels Sprout and Pecan Salad makes a great side for a holiday dinner or buffet. However, with its all-season favorite ingredients (turkey bacon, anyone?), this recipe is perfect all year round. Serve with your favorite protein or entree, or just enjoy the leftover salad as an entree itself!
If you’re not already a Brussels sprouts lover, this Citrus Brussels Sprout and Pecan Salad recipe is sure to make a fan out of you. And when it does, check out some of these other easy and delicious Brussels sprout recipes, from sides to entrees and everything in between:
- Slow Cooker Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
- Glazed Cranberry Brussels Sprouts
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Cherry Tomatoes
- Brussels Sprouts Gratin
- Lemon Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Linguine
- Easy, Crispy Parmesan Brussels Sprouts
And if I still have’t convinced you, check out these three reasons you should give Brussels sprouts a shot. Or just pass the article along to the resident picky eater of your friend group while you enjoy your Brussels sprouts like you always have.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 cup | Calories: 209 | Total Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 7mg | Sodium: 125mg | Carbohydrates: 17g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Protein: 5g |
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup no-sugar added dried cranberries
- 1 cup apple, peeled and chopped small
- 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fat-free blue cheese
- 1/4 cup turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the Brussels sprouts, cranberries, apple, pecans, blue cheese, and bacon. Toss well to combine and set aside.
- In a blender, combine the olive oil, vinegar, syrup, and mustard. Blend well to create a dressing. Drizzle the finished dressing over the Brussels sprout mixture and toss to coat all ingredients in the dressing. Let sit for 10 minutes and refrigerate before serving. Enjoy!