Heart-healthy cod is easy to prepare!
A nutritious seafood choice, cod adds a generous portion of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty-acids to your diet. This fish is high in niacin, magnesium and phosphorus and an excellent source of lean protein.
There are several types of couscous available in the U.S., depending on your location and which grocery chains are available to you. Pearl couscous or Israeli couscous are peppercorn sized pasta balls. Lebanese couscous is larger, and more like little pea-sized pasta balls. Both of these should be cooked al dente and taste like little pearls of pasta. The Moroccan variety, used in this recipe, is a very small grain-like couscous, and it’s similar to eating a fluffy quinoa. It cooks quickly by sitting, covered, in pre-boiled water. A popular variety in the U.S., it even comes in flavored mixes in the grocery store.
We don’t need a mix at Skinny Ms., as we are all about fresh, clean flavors. Cooking in chicken broth rather than water imparts natural flavor. Diced tomatoes add a bit of tang!
You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to cook cod on the stovetop. People love cod because it’s flaky and meaty without being fishy in flavor. This quick meal can be prepared in about 10 minutes!
Wild Caught Cod with Moroccan Couscous
- 1/2 cup chicken broth fat-free, low sodium
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies can
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup Moroccan couscous optional whole-wheat couscous
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 16 ounces wild-caught cod fillets thawed (4 fillets)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice freshly squeezed
- In a medium pot add chicken broth, 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, and diced tomatoes with juice. Turn to medium-high heat and bring to a boil, add couscous, add salt and pepper. Stir, cover saucepan, and remove from heat. Allow couscous to stand while preparing cod.
- Season cod with sea salt and black pepper. Add 1 tablespoon oil to a large non-stick skillet, turn to medium-high and cook until filets flake with a fork, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and serve with couscous. Drizzle lemon juice over fillets.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Like what you see? Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms. Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter.