A nutritious seafood choice, cod adds a generous portion of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty-acids to your diet. This fish is high in niacin, magnesium and phosphorus and an excellent source of lean protein.
There are several types of couscous available in the U.S., depending on your location and which grocery chains are available to you. Pearl couscous or Israeli couscous are peppercorn sized pasta balls. Lebanese couscous is larger, and more like little pea-sized pasta balls. Both of these should be cooked al dente and taste like little pearls of pasta. The Moroccan variety, used in this recipe, is a very small grain-like couscous, and it’s similar to eating a fluffy quinoa. It cooks quickly by sitting, covered, in pre-boiled water. A popular variety in the U.S., it even comes in flavored mixes in the grocery store.
We don’t need a mix at SkinnyMs., as we are all about fresh, clean flavors. Cooking in chicken broth rather than water imparts natural flavor. Diced tomatoes add a bit of tang!
You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to cook cod on the stovetop. People love cod because it’s flaky and meaty without being fishy in flavor. This quick meal can be prepared in about 10 minutes!
Yields: 4 servings | Serving size: 1 fillet and ½ cup couscous | Calories: 279 | Total Fat: 5 g | Saturated Fats: 1 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 49 mg | Sodium: 270 mg | Carbohydrates: 31g | Dietary fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 26 g | SmartPoints: 6
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, fat free, low sodium
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup Moroccan couscous, (optional whole wheat couscous)
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 (4 ounce) wild caught cod fillets, thawed
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- In medium pot add chicken broth, 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, and diced tomatoes with juice. Turn to medium-high heat and bring to a boil, add couscous, add salt and pepper. Stir, cover saucepan and remove from heat. Allow couscous to stand while preparing cod.
- Season cod with sea salt and black pepper. Add 1 tablespoon oil to a large non-stick skillet, turn to medium-high and cook until filets flake with a fork, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and serve with couscous. Drizzle lemon juice over fillets.
Like what you see? Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from SkinnyMs. Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter.